Individual Giving & Special Events Manager
- Experience Level
Cal Performances of University of California, Berkeley is recruiting an Individual Giving and Special Events Manager.
The mission of Cal Performances is to produce and present performances of the highest artistic quality, enhanced by programs that explore compelling intersections of education and the performing arts. To learn about Cal Performances, visit http://calperformances.org/.
The Individual Giving and Special Events Manager reports to the Associate Director of Development, Individual Giving and is a core member of the individual giving team responsible for growing Cal Performances’ base of support. The incumbent manages the Producer’s Circle fundraising programs, which raises $450,000+ annually from over 200 donors who contribute between $1,500 and $10,000. While the Associate Director of Development and Director of Development will primarily handle all major gifts (defined as $10,000+), the Individual Giving and Special Events Manager will solicit gifts at every level from donors with whom they have an established relationship.
The Individual Giving and Special Events Manager will additionally partner with the Director of Development (and/or Associate Director of Development, Individual Giving) to design and implement ticketed fundraising events including the Gala at the Greek (annual or biennial event TBD) and high-dollar artist dinners (1 to 2 at most per season).
Duties include but are not limited to:
[65 %] Individual Giving
• Actively manage a portfolio of donors and prospects at the $1,499 to $10,000 level
• Manage the Producer’s Circle giving program
• Create and execute plans to nurture and grow a dynamic pipeline of donors in the middle of the giving pyramind
• Prepare income projections and reforecasts
• Put forward expense budget and manage expenses within approved budget
• Provide regular statistical reports and summaries of fundraising progress
• Personally cultivate and steward donors and prospects via attendance at performances and events, individual face-to-face meetings, donor club activities, telephone contact, and written communications, involving the Director of Development, Director and trustees when appropriate
• Identify new prospects and use research to determine the appropriate level of a donor’s potential gift
• Create scripts for the Director, Trustees, and other presenters for member events and meetings
• Write persuasive solicitation letters, funding proposals, and presentations to individuals
• Plan, write and craft the annual fund direct mail appeal, donor club brochures, and development articles for internal publications
• Create and manage Producer’s Circle donor communications
• Design and schedule donor receptions and Producer’s Circle benefit events
• Analyze and react to acquisition, renewal and directional trends
• Serve on the Annual Fund Committee, and work directly with Trustees and major donor volunteers, to create and implement a dynamic cultivation program to attract new donors and members, steward current contributors, and increase donor loyalty
[30 %] Special Events, Gala
• In concert with the Director of Development, work collaboratively with the Host Committee to create a uniquely Cal Performances’ gala that both supports our brand / visibility, as well as nets funds in support of Cal Performances’ programs.
• Partner with the Director of Development to set income and expense projections, monitor results, and adjust the model as needed.
• Directly support the Host Committee in their fundraising efforts, and serve as the main communicator and organizer by setting meetings and agendas, sending periodic communications, responding to committee member’s needs, and reaching out to less active members to increase their participation.
• Hire and supervise outside Event Producer.
• Oversee all fundraising mechanisms including tables sales, single tickets sales, auction items, and fund-a-need
• Manage all print and online collateral, and produce all necessary communications with attendees leading up to the event
• Oversee production elements for which Cal Performances is responsible, such as check-in, running the auction and collecting pledges, etc.
[5 %] Special Events, Ticketed Artist Dinners
• Partner with the Director of Development and/or Associate Director of Development, Individual Giving, to create a profitable event model (location, price, timeline, etc).
• Manage all operational aspects of the event
• Create, design and implement all fundraising mechanisms as needed, such as invitations, direct solicitations, etc.
• Minimum three to four years in fundraising required; 2 years of individual and/or membership fundraising experience for a nationally recognized non-profit performing arts organization preferred.
• Knowledge of annual giving; membership marketing; and donor cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
• Knowledge of the performing arts preferred, appreciation for the arts and their role in the community required.
• Polished public manner and proven ability to interact professionally and courteously with donors.
• Ability to work well with people, particularly board members, donors, volunteers, and a diverse group of staff.
• Creativity in producing development materials and events.
• Experience with budget development and management.
• Excellent clerical and computers skills required including proficiency with MS Word and Excel; working knowledge of Tessitura strongly preferred.
• College degree of equivalent experience required.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
• Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
For a complete job description and to apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu/ (search by the Job ID #26846). When applying, please include a cover letter with your resume as a single attachment.