Director of Development
- Experience Level
Honeymoon Israel (HMI) provides immersive trips to Israel for locally based cohorts of couples that have at least one Jewish partner and are early in their committed relationship, creating communities of couples who are building families with meaningful connections to Jewish life and the Jewish people. To date, HMI has run more than 90 trips from 20 cities across the country - bringing more than 1,800 couples to Israel. To read more about Honeymoon Israel and its mission and vision, please see: www.honeymoonisrael.org.
Director of Development
About the Position
Honeymoon Israel is seeking a full-time professional for the role of Director of Development (DD) to play a pivotal role its in organizational growth. The DD is a new position, and will work closely with the CEOs and Leadership Team to guide the implementation of HMI’s overall development strategy, and design and implement a new regional major giving program to elevate HMI’s visibility and secure funding to magnify HMI’s impact.
The DD will be a resourceful, bold, and energetic fundraiser who will focus on targeted high-potential communities, developing important relationships and building networks of support with key individuals. The DD will effectively build the major donor prospect pipeline, cultivate donor relationships, secure and steward major gifts from individuals, local foundations, and high-capacity HMI alumni and their families.
· You are a dynamic and tenacious professional who is passionate about HMI’s mission and thrives in connecting with and engaging others in important work.
· You possess a positive attitude, a high degree of integrity and credibility, and an existing network within the Jewish community
· You are known to be a self-starter who works well independently and collaboratively with other teams
· A strategic professional, you have a background in individual major gifts fundraising, family foundation relationships, and alumni engagement with a demonstrated track record of success and attention to detail across all aspects of the development function.
Strategy, Fundraising & Development Communications (50%)
- In partnership with the co-CEOs, advance the overall fundraising strategy to support the sustainability of the organization by providing project management and oversight for all HMI professionals involved with Development.
- Design and oversee the implementation of a regional fundraising strategy, including all regional and local fundraising initiatives, events, and touchpoints.
- Engage in direct solicitation of major donors, local partners and foundations, and alumni and their families with high-giving capacity.
- Manage a personal portfolio of prospective major individuals and institutional donors and deepen these relationships through regular, relevant communications and stewardship.
- Conduct applicable research on existing and new major donors and prospects.
- Strategically engage co-CEOs, alumni, existing donors and funders, and select colleagues in the donor relationship development processes to maximize their expertise and optimize fundraising.
- Promote HMI to new high- capacity audiences and prospects to generate interest in, support for, and involvement with the organization.
- Engage the board in donor acquisition and stewardship through training, motivation, and support.
- Partner with senior leadership on building a strong culture of philanthropy; advise and take accountability for HMI’s marketing and communications professional/s to develop donor-centric communications that are organizationally consistent with all other communications.
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders in targeted local communities where HMI conducts robust programming and provides essential engagement opportunities.
- Leverage local HMI alumni and their families to build durable foundations of support in each community.
Management and Oversight (30%)
- Manage day-to-day activities of the development and donor-centric communications functions including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Develop aggregate donor information and statistical analysis of donation patterns.
- Ensure that reporting and campaign tracking systems are complete, efficient, accurate, monitored for quality control, and in alignment with development goals.
- Assure that the performance of all development staff (Grants Manager,and support staff for development) are actively managed and professional development opportunities are identified and implemented.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
Skills and Experience
- 5 – 7 years of professional major gift fundraising and community organization experience in a non-profit organization.
- Proven track record in the development and implementation of a comprehensive giving program including major donor pipeline development, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and fundraising events, funder relationship management, communications planning, and project management.
- Exceptionally gifted communicator who both enjoys and excels at all dimensions of the major donor relationship building cycle.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive relationships with donors, prospects, alumni, influencers, and the Board.
- Experience working in a multi-site and virtual work environment and managing remote/virtual staff a bonus
- Strong management skills, both strategic and operational, and a demonstrated ability to build, manage, mentor, and motivate an effective interdepartmental team.
- Ability to passionately communicate HMI’s mission, accomplishments, and benefits of its work.
- This is a full-time position and will require significant monthly travel. Candidates can reside in US, though Atlanta based is preferred.
- The DD will report directly to Honeymoon Israel co-CEO Mike Wise, and will manage the Institutional Grants Manager.
- Benefits include individual medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance coverage, as well as participation in the 403(b) retirement plan with an employer matching program. HMI has an unlimited vacation policy.
- Honeymoon Israel is committed to creating a safe, respectful and equitable work environment. As an equal opportunity employer, HMI fills each position by the best-qualified applicant available. The organization does not discriminate against employees or applicants on any legally protected basis, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran's status, age, or disability which does not interfere with an individual's ability to perform the essential functions of his or her job position with or without reasonable accommodation.
To apply: Please apply by June 3 by submitting a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include title of job in the subject line of the email. We will review applications and screen promising candidates on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Early applications are encouraged.