Senior Director, Volunteer Support Services
- Experience Level
Meals on Wheels of Central Maryland (MOWCM) seeks a strategic and organized Senior Director to lead the organization’s plan to develop, organize, promote, and coordinate a program for effective recruitment for all volunteer supported services to meet the growing need. This is an exciting opportunity to support a volunteer-based organization that focuses on enabling people to live safely and independently at home through the provision of nutritious, home-delivered meals, personalized education and support services, and in-home care management. MOWCM impacts social, behavioral and environmental determinants of health resulting from age, isolation and lack of safety net resources.
Founded in 1960, MOWCM’s mission is to enable people to live independently at home through the provision of nutritious meals, personal contact and related services, so that they may safely age in place with dignity. MOWCM is one of the largest Meals on Wheels programs in the country, with 6 regional offices throughout central Maryland and a main central location in the Highlandtown neighborhood of Baltimore City.
- Home-Delivered Meals Up to two meals per day, a hot lunch and a cold supper, are delivered by a caring volunteer Monday through Friday. Our balanced, nutritious meals provide two-thirds of the required daily allowance (RDA) of nutrients each day. All meals are low in sodium, fat, and concentrated sugar, and are calorie-controlled. Services are available on an ongoing or temporary basis, regardless of age or economic status. Special diets are also available.
- Grocery Assistance Program (GAP) GAP assists in prolonging independent living by recognizing that everyone should have access to healthy foods of their choice at reasonable prices. In addition, GAP makes possible the purchase of other essential personal and household items. Our GAP volunteer shoppers also help reduce clients’ social isolation through shopping visits that offer sustained, personal interaction.
- Housing Upgrades to Benefit Seniors This innovative home repair and modification program was created in 2015 in collaboration with Civic Works and other area senior service providers to remove barriers that prevent low income seniors from accessing services they need to age in place. A MOWCW case manager assists recipients in accessing the state, local and federal resources available to complete critical home repairs and modifications to ensure a safe and healthy home environment. Our case manager works with each client from start to finish to guarantee that projects are completed in a timely fashion with quality and care.
- Together in Care Together in Care is a no-cost nutrition and in-home support program, offered in partnership with MOWCM, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and Meals on Wheels of America. It is designed to help seniors ease their return home after a hospital stay, and avoid re-hospitalization.
- West Baltimore Senior Center Initiative In addition to our long-standing contract with Baltimore City CARES to provide home-delivered meals to Baltimore City’s most impoverished seniors, “take-home” frozen meal entrees for participants at three senior centers in West Baltimore are also offered along with case management services.
With an operating budget of over $10 million per year, 100 staff and more than 2000 volunteers, MOWCM delivers over 1 million nutritious meals and offers support services to 3,000 home-bound aging Marylanders each year. MOWCM is proud to be recognized as a magnet accredited program by the Meals on Wheels Association of America for demonstration of excellence and accountability in home delivered meal programs.
For more information about the organization, visit our website at https://www.mealsonwheelsmd.org/.
The Senior Director of Volunteer Services will plan, organize, promote, and coordinate a program for effective strategic recruitment for all volunteer supported services. He/she will raise awareness of services and volunteer opportunities in the Central Maryland community, promote group and corporate partnership engagement to support organization growth and create meaningful opportunities and experiences for volunteers. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and is a member of the senior management team. There are currently 3 staff in the department, including the Senior Director.
- Provides strong direction, leadership and management for volunteer support services, including volunteer recruitment, training, and ongoing support.
- Ensures efficient, quality service delivery of volunteer supported programs and services, volunteer satisfaction and volunteer retention.
- Attracts a diverse base of individual, group, and corporate volunteers committed to the mission of MOWCM by strategically planning, developing and managing an organization wide recruitment strategy that accommodates attrition, prepares for organization growth, and works to deepen volunteer engagement over time.
- Speaks to groups, organizations, and businesses inspiring people to become involved in service to others through volunteer opportunities available at MOWCM.
- Champions the vision, mission, and values of MOWCM, raises awareness about issues related to homebound clients, and builds strong alliances and partnerships for sustained support of the mission.
- Directly supervises volunteer staff ensuring thorough orientation, training, and ongoing employee development.
- Takes responsibility for the overall performance of department staff including performance appraisals, discipline and terminations in collaboration with the Executive Director and the HR department.
- Conducts regular staff meetings, provides ongoing staff development, and ensures that organization ‘messages’ are communicated clearly and procedures are consistently implemented.
- Ensures consistent volunteer policies and procedures across all program areas are developed and practiced, including screening, orientation, training, supervision and database tracking systems.
- Develops systems and practices to provide for meaningful volunteer experiences, ongoing education, and development of volunteers, including volunteer appreciation and recognition activities throughout the organization.
- Develops and implements effective and efficient business operations and prepares and monitors operating and expense budgets to support the effective operation of the volunteer department.
- Development, Marketing and Communication:
- In collaboration with the Marketing Department, develops, prepares and maintains volunteer program materials including handbooks and newsletters, and develops strategies for raising awareness about volunteer opportunities.
- In collaboration with Development, Marketing and Communications, determine the role of volunteers for agency-wide special events. Provide support and develop a volunteer plan for the event. Recruit and manage volunteers for events as necessary.
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will share a commitment to MOWCM’s mission and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to the organization, including:
- Knowledge of methods and current trends in recruitment, retention and recognition of volunteers;
- Strong relationship building and networking skills with the ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with volunteers, staff, corporate partners, legislators and other stakeholders interested in MOWCM’s activities and mission;
- Ability to think strategically and plan for current and future needs, and implement plans, guidelines, and procedures;
- Understanding of how volunteer development works and connects with fund development, marketing and communications;
- Strong organization and planning skills and ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Outstanding verbal, and written communication skills with an ability to speak effectively one-on-one and in small and large groups;
- Open mindedness with willingness to learn and participate with organization initiatives;
- Ability to compile and analyze statistical data and report and present information;
- Ability to develop cooperative spirit and team commitment among volunteers and staff;
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, PPT);
- Knowledge of the internet and volunteer opportunities it offers;
- Ability to draft and manage a small nonprofit budget;
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive in state of Maryland; and
- Bachelor’s degree in management, administration or a job-related field, and 5-7 years’ experience in program planning and at least 2 years of supervision of volunteers and staff.
This position offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, life and disability insurance, generous vacation, annual, sick and personal leave, and a 401(k) retirement plan with match and discretionary disbursements. Free parking and mileage reimbursement also offered.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements to MOWCM@marcumllp.com. For other inquiries, please contact Adrienne O’Rourke at Adrienne.email@example.com.
MOWCM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
About Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit and Social Sector Group
On behalf of MOWCM, Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit and Social Sector Group is working with the Board of Directors to advance the search. Founded in 1984 and recently merged with Marcum, Raffa is, and always has been, a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious companies like MOWCM.
More searches like this
- Development / Fundraising Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Executive / Senior Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Marketing / Communications Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Baltimore
- Volunteer Services Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Baltimore