Social Science Teacher
- Experience Level
ABOUT MERCY HIGH SCHOOL SAN FRANCISCO
Mercy High School, San Francisco, educates women to pursue lives of spiritual and intellectual depth, determination, and daring action to improve our world as an inclusive, Catholic, college preparatory community enlivened by the Gospel of Jesus and the charism of the Sisters of Mercy.
To plan, organize, and implement an appropriate instructional program in a secondary learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. Work is performed under the supervision of the Dean of Academics. Social Science Department include the following offerings: US History, Contemporary World Issues, World History, AP US History and World History Honors.
- Responsible for various history classes. Plan, prepare and implement lessons, plans, and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Create a student-centered/student-driven classroom that operates on collaborative, project-based learning.
- Explore, integrate, and implement technology in ways that differentiate, personalize, and democratize education.
- Responsibly facilitate conversations between students and teachers about learning.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and transparent records of student progress and development.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students by providing timely, growth-oriented feedback to students and using information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing a welcoming, safe classroom environment and appropriately enforcing school policies.
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, administration, parents, students, and other stakeholders.
- Observe and understand students’ behavior and psyche and report suspicions of neglect, abuse, etc.
- Model a commitment to lifelong learning by developing and enriching professional skills and knowledge by attending seminars, conferences, etc.
- All faculty members are expected to demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the mission and vision of the school.
- In addition to duties listed above, all faculty members will be assigned additional duties (i.e. moderator of a student club, house manager at performing arts productions, supervision of various student activities, etc.).
- Faculty is required to share supervision duties and expected to attend (this list is not all-inclusive):
- All-school assemblies – required
- Open House – required
- Liturgies – required
- Freshman Welcome Reception – required
- Graduation – required
- Faculty/staff retreats – required
- Faculty/staff meetings – required
- Admissions Interview Day – as needed
- Social activities – as needed
- Sporting activities – as needed
- Fine arts productions – as needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.A/B.S. degree in appropriate subject or related field from an accredited institution.
- Dedication to the mission and charism of Mercy High School San Francisco.
- Passion for the empowerment of young women a must.
- Proven experience as a teacher.
- Thorough knowledge of best practices and legal guidelines relevant to education partnered with a willingness to follow the school’s policies and procedures.
- Skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Well-organized and committed.
- Creative and energetic.
- Knowledge of CPR
- Comfort and proficiency with information technology including G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Flexibility, sensitivity, diplomacy and the outstanding interpersonal skills necessary to work collaboratively with multiple constituencies required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as attention to detail required.
- Flexible and willing to work some evenings and/or weekends
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for a position, or ask for additional information, email a copy of your resume, a cover letter, and 3 references. Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in a particular position and what unique qualities you would bring to the role. Strict confidentiality will be maintained for all applicants and only finalists’ references will be contacted.
Mercy High School San Francisco is an equal opportunity employer.