Program Officer, Solid Start
- Experience Level
Organization: San Francisco General Hospital Foundation
Job Title: Program Officer, Solid Start
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting research, education and care for all at the Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG). Zuckerberg San Francisco General is the only provider of trauma (Level 1) and 24-hour psychiatric emergency services for 1.5 million people in San Francisco and northern San Mateo counties.
A comprehensive medical center, Zuckerberg San Francisco General provides quality health care with compassion and respect to 100,000 inpatient and 500,000 outpatient visits per year, including some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable. In addition, Zuckerberg San Francisco General is one of the nation’s top tertiary academic medical centers conducting clinical training and research.
In 2016, Zuckerberg San Francisco General opened a brand new acute care hospital and the Foundation concluded a successful multi-million dollar capital campaign. This candidate will be joining the Foundation at an exciting time as it continues to grow and advance public health in San Francisco. For more information about the Foundation and Zuckerberg San Francisco General, please visit: sfghf.org.
Launched in 2015, the Solid Start Initiative is a multi-disciplinary collaboration based at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG) focused on pregnant women and families with young children. Led by a team of passionate and dedicated care providers, made possible through philanthropic funding raised by the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation (Foundation), Solid Start strives to improve both the well-being of the individual families served at ZSFG and throughout San Francisco. Its mission is to promote health and health equity by developing and evaluating innovative models of integrated care for pregnant women and families with children 0 through 3. Solid Start envisions a healthcare system that integrates all aspects of care for pregnant women and families with young children as a national public health priority.
The Foundation is looking for an experienced program manager/officer who has a passion for public health, particularly when it comes to maternal and child health. The Program Officer, Solid Start represents an exciting new position created in 2019 and made possible through philanthropic funding to support all external facing functions (including development, public relations, and marketing) of the Solid Start Initiative at ZSFG. The Program Officer will work closely with the Solid Start Director, who is based at ZSFG, and the fundraising and marketing teams at the Foundation to coordinate ongoing program development, awareness/ outreach, and the convening of internal and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced hospital or public health setting, is comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and can navigate well in complex institutional settings.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Serve as primary program liaison for San Francisco General Hospital Foundation with the Solid Start Director at Zuckerberg San Francisco General
- Meet regularly with the Solid Start Director and core leadership team to stay current with program needs and developments
- Serve as primary point person for the planning and development of the Solid Start Family Resource Center, for the Foundation and the Solid Start program supporting the Solid Start Director and working closely with the hospital facilities team
Communications and Building Awareness
- Develop and execute, with the Vice President, Marketing, an integrated (traditional and social) communications plan for Solid Start
- Write and manage content for the Solid Start website and social media
- Write and manage library of communications and content to support fundraising and education/awareness needs
- Write periodic impact reports on Solid Start’s progress for internal (i.e. hospital staff) and external (i.e. donor stewardship, community partner) communication needs
- In collaboration with Solid Start Evaluation Team, use data (both quantitative and qualitative) to write the “Solid Start Story” detailing history, progress, evaluation and early results.
- Work closely with the Vice President, Marketing to develop content and editorial calendars for story placement tied to Annual Partner Summit and other events throughout the year
- Refresh the Solid Start brand and positioning as needed
- Working closely with the Vice President, Development, Foundation Board members and the Solid Start Director, lead the recruitment process for Solid Start Leadership Council Chair and members
- Develop the annual plan, agendas and content for Leadership Council meetings with the Vice President, Development and the Solid Start Director
- Organize and staff all Leadership Council events related to fundraising and promoting public awareness of the program
Fundraising and Development
- In close collaboration with the VP, Development, Senior Development Officers and the Solid Start Director, develop and execute an annual fundraising plan for Solid Start
- Assist in providing prospect/donor research and writing support for grant solicitations and stewardship reports as needed
- Assist in preparing material and content for major donor site visits and meetings
- Organize and plan all aspects of the annual Solid Start Partner Summit (held in November) with Solid Start Director and Foundation Development team
- Other projects as assigned
- B.A. required, M.A. preferred in Public Health, Public Administration/Policy, or related field
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills, with a sense of humor
- Prior experience with program development and evaluation (3-5 years)
- Prior project management, marketing and communications experience useful
- Strategic and visionary thinker who cares deeply about the details
- Experience with or demonstrated commitment to public health and/or maternal and child health
Compensation and Application Information
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation offers a competitive compensation package based upon experience, and benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance as well as professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement plan, commuter discounts and vacation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with your first and last name and Program Officer, Solid Start in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applications, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or emails (other than submissions) to the Foundation directly.