Manager - Growth Strategy & Development
- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
This is an exciting opportunity to help a growing, highly-respected nonprofit organization achieve significant growth in its financial support. The Manager of Growth Strategy and Development will work closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to help 1,000 Days increase its annual budget by expanding and diversifying its base of foundation funders and developing an individual giving program, focused on high net worth donors.
1,000 Days seeks a fundraising generalist, with experience in foundation fundraising and grant writing, as well as in the cultivation and stewardship of high net worth individuals. The Manager of Growth Strategy and Development will be charged with helping to secure increased funding from existing and new foundation funders and identifying opportunities to grow 1,000 Days’ unrestricted support. He/she will also work closely with the Executive Director to engage the 1,000 Days Board on fundraising and to grow the 1,000 Days Board.
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, collaborative and creative and is someone who will thrive in a small team environment. The Manager of Growth Strategy and Development will report to the Executive Director while working closely with senior members of the 1,000 Days team. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Washington, D.C.
Fundraising strategy and implementation
· In collaboration with 1,000 Days’ leadership team:
o Develop and execute 1,000 Days’ annual fundraising strategy and plan.
o Build the pipeline of foundation, major gifts, and other prospects.
o Develop annual fundraising goals
· Develop a plan for helping to secure unrestricted funding from high-dollar individual donors.
· Develop a system to track activities and progress toward reaching annual fundraising goals.
· Prepare forecasts related to fundraising activities.
· Improving fundraising systems (e.g. tracking prospects, grants, contacts and donor-reporting).
· Work closely with colleagues across program areas to maximize organizational and fundraising effectiveness.
Foundation donors fundraising
· Prepare research to identify new sources of institutional giving.
· Draft concept notes and funding proposals in close collaboration with Executive Director and program staff.
· Assist with strategic positioning of programs and mission.
· Ensure regular communication with existing foundation donors.
Individual donor fundraising
· Develop a plan for building a major gifts program rooted in board engagement.
· Establish a fundraising target for this constituency and develop the strategies necessary to increase income from this source year by year.
· Plan and manage donor cultivation events.
· Create a cultivation and stewardship program that includes various methods for engaging donors, from events to written and online communications.
· Develop a strategy to use the current CRM database to identify new major gift prospects.
Board of Directors
· Work with the Executive Director and the Board Development Committee to build a pipeline of Board candidates; conduct prospect research and maintain prospect list.
· Assist in the preparation for Board meetings.
· Prepare outreach and solicitation materials for Board members to use in fundraising-related outreach.
· Maintain Board term tracker and other key Board documents.
· Minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience.
· The willingness and ability to direct a major gifts fundraising program is required; experience with securing major gifts is a plus.
· Track record cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding various donor constituencies.
· Anticipatory and strategic thinker.
· Exceptional writing and oral communication skills.
· Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism, and to handle sensitive and proprietary financial information.
· Ability to build strong working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Ease relating to influential and high net-worth individuals.
· Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and projects with competing priorities and deadlines.
· Ability to travel up to 35% of time.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and with CRM databases.
· Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
ABOUT 1,000 DAYS
1,000 Days leads the fight to give mothers and babies in the U.S. and around the world the nutrition they need to thrive. We work with global leaders and grassroots communities of parents to make the 1,000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s 2nd birthday a window of opportunity to build healthier, brighter futures.
HOW TO APPLY
· Email cover letter with salary requirements, resume and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org and please put “Development Manager” in the subject line.
· Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits