Manager, Business Development, Social Impact
7 days left
- Experience Level
Manager, Business Development/Social Impact
Who are we?
As the global leader in standards-based digital curriculum resources, digital content, and professional development for K-12 classrooms worldwide, Discovery Education is transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Serving more than 5 million educators and 51 million students, Discovery Education’s services are available in approximately half of U.S. classrooms and primary schools in the UK, and more than 90 countries around the globe. Inspired by the global media company Discovery, Inc., Discovery Education partners with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that increase academic achievement.
Discovery Education’s Corporate Education Partnerships (“CEP”) team is mission-driven and facilitates the organization’s public/private partnerships, collaborating across all sectors with like-minded organizations to support critical needs in the K-12 universe in order to drive youth achievement. The output of these partnerships includes cause marketing initiatives, workforce development solutions, and support for K-12 school service distribution in schools nationwide. We believe that access to dynamic learning experiences should not be dependent upon a student’s zip code and are committed to the transformation of teaching and learning in order to drive student achievement.
Our team is collaborative and mission-driven, continuously looking for innovative ways to enhance our services and expand our positive impact on the education universe. The Company offers the unique combination of being a recognized industry leader with global reach along with the excitement of operating as an entrepreneurial start-up focused on innovation and growth. Discovery Education offers a creative and fast-paced environment with talented and passionate people committed to changing the world through education.
Explore the future of education at DiscoveryEducation.com.
What are we looking for?
Discovery Education seeks a high-energy individual to focus on new business development that cultivates partnerships with like-minded organizations and iconic brands who share our mission to measurably impact youth achievement. Our corporate partners are diverse – big brands, social impact organizations, sports teams, thought leaders – which provides the unique opportunity to work across a broad array of industries, disciplines and subject areas.
Specifically, the Manager, Business Development & Social Impact will focus their time on building a pipeline through proactive outreach to, and relationship cultivation with, Trade Associations, Corporate and Non-Profit Foundations, Fortune 500 Companies, and Philanthropists that share Discovery Education’s mission of transformation. The selected candidate will liaise closely with the Corporate Education Partnerships team on development strategies for specific areas of partnership programming that drive financial support for education at both national and local scale.
Responsibilities Including but not limited to:
- Strategize, develop and activate outreach strategies that will cultivate and nurture relationships with decision-making individuals responsible for education programming within qualified prospective partner organizations.
- Individual will be assigned and accountable for developing/ executing critical-issue-specific business development strategies. Will need to maintain a real-time pulse on the larger audience of potential prospective partners through proactive, in-depth research that integrates into support timely business development strategies.
- As this role represents Discovery Education at the highest levels, this individual must possess strong public speaking and written communication skills, with the ability to deliver concise, engaging presentations and messaging to various levels within potential partner organizations. Needs to convey the “Discovery Education vision” in an interactive, professional, engaging, high-impact and actionable manner.
- Maintain accurate/timely records within CRM tools of business development activities and coordinate development reports and outreach dashboards regarding all prospective partner activities.
- Appropriately and pro-actively merchandise the success of Discovery Education’s existing partnerships with organizations and school districts.
- Proactively maintain a thorough understanding of Discovery Education’s overall goals and strategic vision for the future of education, and the private sector’s role within the mission to reimagine teaching and learning.
- Maintain an understanding of industry trends, current events, and related information that may impact the business by reading professional publications, researching relevant studies and white papers and gleaning best practices from relevant professional organization thought leadership events.
Mission-Driven: Passionate about Discovery Education's vision to transform teaching and learning, experience in education or ed-tech industry a plus
Professional Experience: Minimum 5 - 8 years professional experience. Business Development experience preferred
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required – preferably in marketing, communications, business or related fields
Knowledge & Skills: Knowledge of CRM database, Business Development Strategies, Excel, Keynote/ PowerPoint
Communication Skills: Excellent written and oral communication as well as strong interpersonal skills
Leadership: Demonstrate exceptional leadership; strong work ethic driven by a sense of urgency, flawless organization skills, and ability to inspire others to act and fulfill Discovery Education’s mission
Collaborative: Positive, solution-oriented team player with the ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-energy environment; team player/ builder with the humility to be focused on the success of the collective over individual
Hustle: The courage and confidence to work hard and with passion; committed to getting the job done; sustain effort in the face of adversity. Maintain consistency and focus over time with a positive “never give up” attitude
Self-Starter: Driven self-starter with the ability to do what needs to be done without being micromanaged; ability to manage/prioritize multiple tasks, proactively manage numerous projects, and prioritize competing timelines; demonstrate a problem solving/ solution-oriented approach
Learning Orientation: Always willing to learn something new, not rigid in beliefs or expectations
Sense of Humor: Because we all need to laugh sometimes
Technical Skills: Understand new technologies and industry trends and how they may impact the business. Proficiency in presentation design (Keynote or PowerPoint), Microsoft Excel, Social Media, etc. Experience with graphic design software a plus
Flexibility: Candidates must be willing to travel 40-50% of the time to meet with partners, customers, or internal meetings.
Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree’s preferred
Legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Education is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery Education is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.