4 days left
- Experience Level
NECHAMA – Jewish Response to Disaster is a 501(c)(3) disaster relief organization providing natural disaster response, rebuild, and preparedness training services nationwide. NECHAMA, rooted in the Jewish value of Tikkun Olam, repairing the world, provides comfort and hope to communities by engaging volunteers in disaster recovery work.
We are a non-religious organization, rooted in the personhood of Judaism and the guiding value of Tikkun Olam, welcoming all in our work to provide direct assistance to at-risk households and communities in the aftermath of disasters. NECHAMA is a melting pot of people of good will, who believe that a small band of committed individuals can change lives, bring hope and comfort to those in need, and affect positive change in the world around us.
We believe that natural disasters disproportionately affect communities that are underserved, low and lower-income, and underinsured or uninsured. Families in these communities are less insulated against the economic shock that often accompanies disasters and suffer from substandard infrastructure which exacerbates the physical damage from these events.
In addition to large-scale events that make the national news, NECHAMA focuses on low-attention disasters with at-risk communities, embedding our teams with local residents, and embracing our host communities. Whereas families with means are able to address home repairs or move permanently from regularly affected areas, NECHAMA assists less-affluent households who are left to fend for themselves without adequate resources to address damage to their homes or move to a less-affected area.
As we do our work, grounded in Tikkun Olam, we honor our shared history and make a commitment to our shared future by using our projects to affect social change.
We are excited to present this opportunity to come on board our rapidly growing organization as our Development Director. Over the last 30 months, NECHAMA has more than tripled our yearly income, going from $460,000 in 2016, to just over $2M 2018. In the last year, our staff have engaged in disaster relief work in Puerto Rico, Texas, California, South Carolina, Georgia, and Minnesota.
This is an opportunity to join our growing team, and make this role your own, putting your stamp on every aspect of the job and department. You’ll get the opportunity to travel nationally as part of expansion operations, disaster response/rebuild site visits, and partner meetings. Most importantly, you’ll be a critical part of our operation as we repair the world, helping our neighbors, and leaving communities better then we found them.
Purpose of Job
The Development Director is focused on:
- Overseeing the yearly development programs for NECHAMA.
- Collaborating in the strategic development, growth and funding of NECHAMA’s Programs, Locations, and Operations.
- Building a national development program, with a focus on expanding donor opportunities, corporate partnerships, and expanding an existing donor base.
- Changing the world for the better.
- Develop and implement annual development plans for general operations.
- Develop and implement project-based development plans as needed by the Operations team to respond to natural disasters
- Engage in ground-level/project-based development visits Manage the prospect and donor research program Oversee allocation of human capital including use of Board members, Executive Director, and other non-Development staff to support development plans Maintain a personal portfolio of donors with a focus on major donors Establish and grow new and existing corporate partnerships Develop and run annual appeals Oversee the management and planning of NECHAMA fundraising events
- Represent NECHAMA at conferences, community events, and speaking engagements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 6 years related experience, in a US non-profit setting, preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to design and convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, and CRM software.
- Comfort and knowledge using Mac based computers - we are a Mac based office
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple priorities.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment of diverse staff and volunteers who provide and require varying levels of support.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to and a passion for NECHAMA’s mission.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time, with the potential for more travel during disaster deployments, including project-based travel which will include communal housing.
- A valid US driver’s license with a favorable driving record.
This position is based out of NECHAMA’s Burnsville, MN Office, but open to a remote work setup if the location has strategic value to the organization.