Mayfair Coordinator II, Early Learning
- Experience Level
The Mayfair Coordinator II, Early Learning develops strong leadership in the predominantly immigrant Mayfair community amongst neighborhood residents and school parents by supporting the facilitation of parenting workshops that focus on early childhood education and child development, supporting the leadership development of parents and community members; and supporting the overall early childhood development strategy in Mayfair.
This position reports directly to SOMOS Mayfair’s FRC Program Manager and works alongside our Literacy team members. The Early Learning Coordinator II is responsible; planning and overseeing the recruitment of parent leaders to conduct parenting workshops across the Mayfair neighborhood and beyond to support parent engagement, early learning, increasing early development resources in the community and conducting assessments of children. The Coordinator II will work with the FRC Program Manager to increase the capacity in delivering our FIRST 5 scope of work while also continuing to align our early learning and literacy work with our community building strategy. The Coordinator is responsible for building alliances and partnerships locally to increase parent engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time & priority):
Grow SOMOS’ capacity increase parents access to parenting and early learning core components (60%)
- Support and develop SOMOS Mayfair leadership development curriculum to parents at schools in the Alum Rock Union School District enrollment zones by conducting parenting workshops that focus on parent engagement and child development;
- Develop strong programming and timeline that include outreach, curriculum development, evaluation, children assessments and continued family engagement;
- Develop concrete strategies and activities to support the overall goals of parent engagement and opportunities for early learning;
- Developed leadership of participants to increase the overall community power and close the opportunity and achievement gap in Mayfair
- Coordinate work with all Mayfair coordinators to align literacy, parent engagement and organizing strategies, platform, outreach, and strategic direction across all community leaders and schools;
- Supervise external contracts to support the delivery or early learning and leadership development curriculum.
External Relationships & Regional Advocacy (20%)
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, local schools and school district and agencies to ensure and promote the long-term organizational mission and goals;
- Represent SOMOS Mayfair at meetings with external stakeholders and allies;
- Participate in regional and statewide efforts to advance the efforts of promotores and community organizers working in neighborhoods like Mayfair.
Impact Evaluation (15%)
- Design and oversee SOMOS Mayfair’s annual evaluation strategy in parent engagement and early learning;
- Ensure program evaluation tools are correctly utilized to measure impact with group participants;
- Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support Program Manager biannually;
- Conduct strategic planning with leaders in program area as well as collectively in team to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous growth.
Professional Development (5%)
- Create an annual professional development plan to develop or strengthen essential skills and seek opportunities for greater and on-going learning, including community organizing models and the practice of popular education pedagogy;
- Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed;
- Contribute to the development of organizational world-view and development of strategic plan.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing social justice in immigrant, working class communities;
- At least 5 years of experience in the early education.
- Proficiency in delivering FIRST 5 or other early learning programs, services and curriculums;
- Expertise in public presentations and group facilitation;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with a broad audience; Ability to interact well with young children and adults;
- Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel, Internet and e-mail.
- Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English required;
- Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required;
- Fingerprint and background check required;
- Experience in community organizing, community leadership development or peer-to-peer service delivery models (ie. Promotor) in working poor, immigrant communities;
- Experience in applying popular education methodology;
- Knowledge of local community resources and agencies
SOMOS Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Child Care / After school / Counselor Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Customer Service / Retail Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Direct Service / Social Service Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Education / Teaching Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Program / Project Management Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in San Jose