Manager, Custom Services
1 day left
- Experience Level
StoryCorps was founded in 2003 with a mission to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and to create a more just and compassionate world. Over the past 15+ years, we have provided more than 400,000 people from across the U.S. with powerful opportunities to record interviews about their lives, to pass wisdom from one generation to the next, and to leave a legacy for future generations in our archive at the Library of Congress. Select interviews are edited for weekly broadcast on NPR’s “Morning Edition” and/or inclusion in our animations and podcasts. Together, these stories reach a broad national audience of tens of millions on public and digital media.
All StoryCorps activities, from the delivery of our interview service, to our archive, to the creation and distribution of our produced content, are carried out with an unwavering commitment to excellence and the inclusion of underrepresented populations. Over the years, we have partnered with thousands of community organizations from across the country to provide our interview service to their constituents. By collecting, preserving, and broadly disseminating authentic voices from diverse participants across the U.S., StoryCorps promotes a deeper understanding–both historic and contemporary–of the many communities that constitute our nation.
Our work has been widely recognized with several George Foster Peabody Awards, a MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, the 2015 TED Prize, and a 2016 Emmy award for our animation, “Traffic Stop.”
StoryCorps Custom Services makes StoryCorps programs available to communities outside of our grant-funded work, primarily by setting up interview recording days with organizations that sponsor StoryCorps events for their communities. The goals of Custom Services are to generate revenue, and to further the mission by choosing mission-appropriate projects and increasing exposure of StoryCorps.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Engagement & Custom Services, the Custom Services Manager will be a key member of the four-person department, and will be responsible for independently managing high-profile partnerships, which includes planning interview-recording days and creating new project proposals. The Manager will also contribute to a variety of department projects, including creating new marketing materials and developing new services, and will be called upon to represent StoryCorps publicly in meetings with external funders or other stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Capitalize on the demand for StoryCorps services, turning new contacts into productive, robust partnerships
- Respond to web and phone inquiries about StoryCorps’ services
- Plan recording days and other events from initial inquiry to completion
- Build and maintain relationships with major funders and other partner organizations to maximize potential partnership benefits for project stakeholders and for StoryCorps at large
- Lead department’s production services by creating proposals, overseeing production schedule, providing editorial direction, and serving as primary contact for external freelance Producers
- Work with StoryCorps Programs department to develop new project components, and to staff and manage execution of events
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications department on promotional strategies and materials
- Contribute to improving department’s internal information-sharing and other tracking systems, including the functionality of the customer relationship management database (ZenDesk and SalesforceCRM)
- Coordinate with Legal Affairs and Finance departments to prepare contracts and invoices
- Perform other duties to support Custom Services operations as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and professional experience
- 4 years experience in nonprofit social enterprise, development, administration, or project management
- Results-driven, proactive attitude and strategic thinker
- Strong computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Solid organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Strong conflict resolution and teamwork skills
- Willingness and ability to occasionally travel
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Proficiency on a Mac platform and with relationship management database software
- Experience with digital audio editing and/or radio documentary production
- Professional public speaking/presentation experience with large audiences
- Familiarity with contracts and other legal documents
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Manager, Custom Services” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.