Direct Support Professional
- Experience Level
CORNERSTONE COMMUNITY HOMES is looking for DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONALS (DSPs) to work with our developmentally disabled adult residents in a home and community setting, and assist them as needed in every facet of day-to-day living. Cornerstone has seven residential care facilities located in Novato and San Rafael.
Under the direction of the facility’s Program Manager, the Direct Support Professional is responsible for the following:
- Carrying out each resident’s Individualized Service Plan (ISP). The ISP includes behavioral and skill development programs for each resident. This includes teaching skills through modeling of appropriate actions and responses, in order to assist the residents in making self-directed choices.
- Assisting residents with self-help skills such as personal hygiene, dressing, grooming and toileting, and in training residents in the activities of daily living such as bed-making, meal preparation, and housekeeping.
- Ensuring the good appearance of residents (i.e., clean and appropriate clothing and shoes, good hygiene) at day programs or other community activities.
- Preparation of appropriate and nutritious meals for the residents and for following proper procedures for food handling and storage.
- General daily housekeeping duties, as required to maintain the good appearance and cleanliness of the facility, both inside and out.
- Assisting residents with self-administered medication.
- Recording daily data and notes pertaining to residents’ behavioral and independent living skill goals, communication, activities and outings, medical issues and special incidents.
- Prerequisites: Ability to meet Community Care Licensing requirements by providing evidence of good health (a physical) and a negative TB test, and criminal record clearance. Ability to speak, read, and write English.
- One to two years of direct support experience in residential programs for the developmentally disabled is preferred. At a minimum, applicants must have three years of post-high school work experience that includes at least six months of providing care or support to dependent individuals.