- Position Type
- Full Time
Sutro Stewards works to conserve habitat through ecological restoration and native plant propagation while providing recreational opportunities in the UCSF Mount Sutro Open Space Reserve. Mount Sutro is a remarkable refuge in the heart of San Francisco, with over four miles of multi-use trails for hiking, biking, and enjoying this special place. Since 2006, Sutro Stewards has worked with thousands of volunteers to build and maintain trails, introducing the public to this hidden gem. Sutro Stewards works with UCSF, city agencies, and land managers to continue to expand the network of connectivity between San Francisco open spaces and engage community in the planning of improvements and long term stewardship of each project.
Sutro Stewards is a fiscally sponsored project of the San Francisco Parks Alliance, a 501(c)3 California nonprofit public benefit corporation.
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Sutro Stewards. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic planning of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, relationship building, and community outreach. The position reports to the Sutro Stewards Advisory Board and San Francisco Parks Alliance.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
Organizational Development & Fundraising
- Pursue and secure funding for mission-focused priorities
- Advocate for trail, open space, and conservation
- Drive philanthropy and development efforts
- Carry out strategic planning with support from the Advisory Board
Fiscal & Program Oversight
- Track and manage organization and program budgets
- Submit payroll and monthly billing
- Oversee trails, conservation, nursery, and education programming
- Write and negotiate grants and contracts
- Ensure program delivery and field safety
- Create effective systems to track progress and evaluate programs
- Manage and provide leadership support to staff
- Act as liaison to San Francisco Parks Alliance, UCSF, and Advisory Board
- Establish and cultivate relationships with community groups, partners, and stakeholders
- Create protocol to work collaboratively in planning and decision making processes
- Build community
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Advisory Board; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to work effectively and professionally in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Five or more years nonprofit management experience
- Ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Experience with fundraising and knowledge of strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector
- Experience successfully managing budgets and grants
- Familiarity with local conservation, open space, and trail advocacy or programs
- Experience with conflict resolution
- History of volunteer and direct community engagement
- Commitment to and demonstrated personal interest in organizational mission
- Preferred: past success cultivating and effectively working with an Advisory Board or Board of Directors
- Preferred: experience working with conservation, trail, or volunteer programs
- Preferred: experience with Google Suite including collaborative work via Google Docs and Google Sheets
This is a full time (35-40 hours) exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete projects and key tasks on schedule.
This position allows a flexible work schedule with most hours worked remotely from a home office (personal computer required). Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends is required. Monthly staff meetings, quarterly Advisory Board meetings, committee meetings, and occasional community meetings will be scheduled on weekday evenings. Stewardship and educational programming often takes place on weekends; standard volunteer stewardship days are 1st & 3rd Saturdays and every Wednesday.
Sutro Stewards offers a salary of $55,000-70,000, commensurate with experience and skills, with potential for growth. Comprehensive benefits package that includes a vacation, medical, dental, vision, chiropractic/acupuncture, flexible spending accounts, Basic Life/AD&D insurance, and a 410(k) program (with a match component after first year of employment).
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with your full name and the position title in the subject line. Position open until filled, and applications will be reviewed as received.