- Position Type
- Full Time
The Commonwealth Club is the largest and oldest public forum in the United States. A membership organization, the Club hosts daily lectures and panel discussions on issues of public concern. The Club publishes a magazine, hosts a weekly national radio broadcast, offers podcasts and online video stream, and is the leader in its field nationally and internationally. The Club is a fast-paced, lively and stimulating environment with nearly 500 programs a year ranging from literature to the economy.
The award-winning Inforum programming division at The Commonwealth Club of California brings diverse, intellectually curious professionals and young minds together to geek out at talks with leaders in culture, tech, politics, food, design, business and social issues. Inforum is a brand under The Commonwealth Club’s programming umbrella, commonly referred to as an innovation lab of The Commonwealth Club. Inforum’s two full-time staff produce more than 30 inspiring events annually. Supported by the Inforum Advisory Board, Inforum aims to continue to book a roster of world-class speakers, build partnerships to bring more great experiences to the public, engage new members, and expand programming experiences that engage the Bay Area community in fresh, critical conversations. Reporting to the vice president of programming, the Inforum director will help us innovate, grow and continue to deliver on impactful and timely events. If you are the type of person who can dive right in and immediately begin producing results, and who thrives under pressure, you are exactly who we’re looking for.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Curate 30-plus programs annually across a broad spectrum of subjects, identifying trending topics, top speakers and subjects of organizational and cultural importance to draw attendees, fulfill on sponsorships, drive membership interest and build community visibility.
• Oversee programs manager and seasonal part-time undergraduate fellows on production of high-level public programs with attendance ranging from 100 to more than 1,000 attendees; work will include 4-plus evenings per month.
• Achieve program revenue budget annually, in consultation with VP of programming and in partnership with the Membership and Development departments to achieve communal goals.
• Partner with the Inforum programs manager on strategy and identify and book sensational speakers (past speakers include the U.S. CTO Megan Smith, Gabrielle Union, Tim Ferriss, Ben Shapiro, Sheryl Sandberg, Dan Savage, Sen, Cory Booker and others).
• Seek out and curate partnerships with media outlets and other organizations to create or host unique programming.
• Work closely with the Development team to creatively fulfill on sponsorships, curating specific subjects or speakers of interest to fiscal partners.
• Manage relationships with high-level speakers, moderators, contacts and community leaders.
• Oversee Inforum’s Advisory Board, including recruitment, quarterly meetings, board engagement and board connection to The Commonwealth Club overall, in partnership with the chair of the Advisory Board.
• Secure venues, negotiate agreements and handle on-site program logistics.
• Seek out innovative marketing tactics to boost attendance for Inforum’s programs.
• Manage Inforum’s social media presences on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
• Assist with hiring and onboarding of interns and Fellows.
• Collaborate with Commonwealth Club colleagues across multiple departments daily.
• Support the Club as a member of the senior staff of The Commonwealth Club; participate in regular senior staff meetings.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Booking speakers and public programs preferred; broadcasting experience a plus
• Planning events, with an eye for both talent and audience experience
• Relationship management
• Project management encompassing both the big picture and the small details
• Experience working with or managing an advisory board/volunteer leadership
• Interfacing smoothly with high-level figures, including celebrities, elected officials, CEOs and donors
• Passion for keeping finger on pulse of news and events happening in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond; an existing network of Bay Area contacts preferable
• Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Experience with Microsoft Office and computer database programs; Adobe Suite experience a plus
• Social media savvy with experience representing organizational voice on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Confident verbal and written "voice"
San Francisco Waterfront
The Commonwealth Club of California is a nonprofit organization; competitive salary based on experience. No relocation package or assistance will be provided.
• Health, dental and vision insurance
• Health-care spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
• Commuter transit benefits
• Retirement benefits or accounts/401(k) plan.
• Other types of insurance
• Paid time off
• Gym membership or discounts
• Workplace perks such as food/coffee and flexible work schedules
Please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to email@example.com with “Inforum Director” in the subject line. In addition, please include an answer to the following question: If you could invite 3 people in the Bay Area to a dinner party, who would those people be and how would you extend them an invitation?
No phone calls, please.
More searches like this
- Event Planning Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Executive / Senior Management Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Marketing / Communications Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Public Policy / Administration Arts / Culture / Humanities $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in San Francisco