Government Relations, Manager - Sacramento
- Experience Level
Reporting directly to the Director of Government Relations, the Government Relations Manager (“Manager”) will represent APCA before the state legislature; develop legislative proposals, analyze state budget and legislation, statues, regulations, policies; develop political strategy, and do intelligence gathering. The Manager will also develop, summarize and maintain reports and records including Fair Political Practice Commission filings (FPPC) and perform related work required in the Sacramento office. The successful candidate will also be responsible for developing and maintaining contact with members and staff of the legislature, executive branch, various state departments, and other statewide partners working in Sacramento.
As assigned by the Government Relations Director, the Manager will assist in coordinating and managing several aspects of GR processes, including but not limited to, preparing written materials relative to legislative and budget matters, including bill position correspondence; managing and overseeing bill tracking; handling Sacramento office related work, legislative deadlines, and managing analytical and other projects, as needed.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Serves as one of APCA’s advocates and spokespersons in Sacramento
- Serves as a liaison between the Sacramento and LA offices, including facilitating dialogue between Sacramento and LA staff to ensure high quality policy development.
- Support the development and implementation of strategic goals set by the Director and APCA leadership.
- Develops and maintains working relationship with members of the legislature, staff, committees, executive branch representatives and other partner organizations on subject matters pertaining to APCA issues.
- Monitors and provides basic analysis of legislation to determine policy and fiscal implications of key bills highlighted as priorities for APCA.
- Drafts position letters, legislative language and testimony; and represents APCA at various hearings and meetings.
- Works with other organizations to gain support and/or opposition on issues important to APCA.
- Builds and manages APCA strategic coalitions in Sacramento.
- Assists with providing information that enhances the legislature’s and new administration’s understanding of APCA’s purpose and new projects.
- Reads, analyzes and interprets legislative proposals, state laws and other policy issues.
- Assists with identifying legislation and budget priorities for APCA’s policy programs and recommends position to Director.
- Engages in communication with legislative offices, legislative policy and fiscal consultants, and the Governor’s office on legislative matters.
- Tracks legislation and budget issues related to APCA.
- Reviews introduced and amended bills to identify those that would affect APCA program areas and in consultation with policy program staff, recommends APCA position.
- Monitors and testifies in legislative and budget hearings on assigned issues.
- Prepares material for hearings and meetings.
- Manages and oversees the bill tracking system.
- Submits FPPC filings.
- Maintains and updates APCA’s Government Relations webpage and legislative information
- Works with APCA Communications Team to write quarterly blogs and update social media of Sacramento happenings.
- Supports organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities, as needed and ensures adherence to APCA’s goals and policies.
- Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social, economic, and/or racial justice progress for the highest-need communities.
- 5+ years of legislative and/or advocacy experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in public policy or law preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered.
- Demonstrated success in delivering high-quality work product on a consistent, reliable basis in a fast-paced work environment with ambitious goals.
- Demonstrated success in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and scope, including successful legislation.
- Strong interpersonal, written, analytical and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- General knowledge of the organization, functions, process and procedures of the California Legislature required.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and respond to legislative, budget and regulatory proposals, complex data and other information on APCA related issues and legislation.
- Ability to create and present effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to governmental leaders and partner organizations in a timely manner, often on short notice.
- Must have an intuitive ability to recognize and appropriately convey the sensitive nature of any situation and the ability to keep all matters appropriately confidential.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to details are required.
- Ability to multi-task various assignments, prioritize work, and adjust to multiple demands.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills, proficient with MS Office applications.
- Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situation and changing priorities.
- Proficiency with social media, online communication and webinar technologies is preferred. Must be able to travel locally and statewide.
Competitive compensation depending on experience. Includes full health, dental and retirement benefits.
Please send cover letter, resume and two policy-related writing samples to:
Director of Human Resources, Finance and Administration email@example.com
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.