- Experience Level
ABOUT TEEN SUCCESS, INC.
Teen Success, Inc. empowers young women who become mothers in their teens to rise above the challenges facing them and achieve their full potential in school and as parents, so their children also thrive. We believe that education is a key factor in breaking the cycle of poverty faced by young families and that with the right support, young women who become mothers in their teens can attain success in school and in life, for themselves and for their children.
Teen motherhood is an intergenerational issue. A child of a teen mother is much more likely to be a teen parent – 70% of Teen Success, Inc. members are children of teen mothers. Alarmingly, 62% of teen mothers do not complete high school which perpetuates this cycle of intergenerational teen parenthood and poverty. In addition, 18% of teen mothers have a second child as a teen, which can further hamper their ability to finish school. High school dropouts face extremely bleak economic and social prospects. These adverse outcomes also significantly impact their children. With our support, the young women we serve are changing this, with 93% completing high school or its equivalent and only 7% having a second child as a teen.
The mission of Teen Success, Inc. is to help underserved teen mothers and their children become educated, self-sufficient, valued members of society. As part of our intensive, research-based approach, the young women we serve participate in 18 months of one-on-one coaching and peer group learning. They focus on their educational path, develop life skills, deepen their knowledge of reproductive health, and grow their parenting skills, with a focus on early literacy for their children. By recognizing the resourcefulness and resilience of young women who become mothers in their teens, we will open the door for more young mothers and their children to achieve their full potential.
Teen Success, Inc. currently operates programs in the following regions of California: San Francisco Bay Area, Central Coast and Central Valley. Teen Success, Inc. is headquartered in Milpitas, California.
The Teen Success, Inc. Advocate is the front-line implementer of the Teen Success, Inc. program and plays a vital role in the success of the program. The Teen Success, Inc. Advocate is responsible for operating a Teen Success, Inc. program in San Mateo County. This includes the establishment and coordination of the program; outreach and recruitment of members; working directly with the Teen Success Inc. members providing coaching, brokering of services and facilitating a weekly peer support group; tracking and documenting progress towards objectives and goals; coordinating child watch staff; and building relationships with community organizations and other key stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with disadvantaged youth and facilitating their educational success. The individual must have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The individual must be able to interact comfortably, respectfully and skillfully with Teen Success, Inc. staff, community partners, program members and program member’s family/partner. This role requires a high level of professionalism, emotional maturity, confidentiality, attention to detail and time management.
- Build community relationships for program promotion, referral sources, and resources.
- Ongoing recruitment and screening of teen mothers for participation in Teen Success, Inc. program
- Provide continual outreach and support to members to maintain full engagement in the Teen Success, Inc. program
- Conduct weekly one-on-one coaching sessions with all Teen Success, Inc. members in caseload. Assist members in re-enrolling in high school, engaging in school and exploring post-secondary education
- Assess members' needs, develop appropriate action plans based on needs, and coordinate timely referrals for service and follow through as appropriate. Advocate appropriately for members when barriers exist
- Facilitate, manage and implement weekly peer learning sessions in accordance with the Teen Success Inc. program model and objectives. Foster a peer-learning environment with trusting relationships and a culture of success
- Complete weekly operational tasks, such as coordinating purchasing of snack and supplies for peer-learning sessions and orientations, managing member stipends, entering data into the Teen Success, Inc. database, coordinating child watch staff and submitting receipts and documents in a timely manner
- Work collaboratively with fellow Advocates, Program Manager, Teen Success, Inc. funding partners, and referral sources
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of resources and services for members
- Attend all Teen Success, Inc. required training and staff meetings
- Use data for continuous improvement to ensure desired impact
- Passionate about working directly with youth and at-risk populations and in empowering young women to reach their potential
- Understanding of and comfort with positive youth development approaches, sexual and reproductive health, at-risk youth
- Strong public speaking, group facilitation and client engagement skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and flexible
- Positive attitude, team player, energizes others, and has a sense of humor
- Interest in improving performance to increase impact
- Two to three years related work experience in relevant field
- Must have a valid California driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and liability insurance
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
Please apply by submitting your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to put “Advocate” in subject line. Review of applications will begin on May 6th, 2019; position is open until filled.
For more information about Teen Success, Inc. please visit our website: www.teensuccess.org.
Teen Success, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.