- Experience Level
Job Opening – Berkeley Public Library Foundation
Part-Time Development Assistant
The Development Assistant supports the fundraising and development activities of the Foundation and ensures the smooth functioning of the office operations. Responsibilities include day-to-day administrative assistance to the Executive Director, donor relations and reporting, meeting and event logistics, light bookkeeping duties, and ongoing management of our database and website. This position is supervised by the Executive Director, collaborates with the Bookkeeper, and works with consultants and volunteer leaders as needed. We are looking for someone who lives locally, loves libraries, and would enjoy working for a great cause.
- Detailed understanding of full Microsoft Office suite and general office functions and machines.
- Familiarity with nonprofit administration, databases, and basic bookkeeping practices.
- Experience handling logistics of meetings and events.
- Excellent organizational skills and acute attention to details.
- Strong customer service skills, friendly, warm, clear and professional. (verbal and written)
- Self-starter, energetic, resilient, with a sense of humor.
- Ability to prioritize well on time-sensitive projects; ability to balance competing priorities and demands.
- Comfortable working alone, in groups, and under the close supervision of an Executive Director.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform routine administrative tasks, such as donor communications, responding to requests for information, scheduling internal and external meetings and events, answering phone, database entry, and light filing.
- Coordinate logistics for occasional special events.
- Assist with execution of donor appeals and follow-up; maintain donor records, issue timely gift acknowledgments.
- Generate invoices for pledges and other types of financial/analytical reports as requested.
- Assist with online and print communications includes but not limited to social media, website editing, organizing and coordinating mailings of materials to support Foundation’s fund development, events and activities.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of master timelines with attention to event details and campaign deadlines.
- Prepare, submit and track paperwork for checks, process invoices, weekly coordinate accounts payable information for monthly reconciling by BPLF bookkeeper.
- Produce materials and arrange logistics for monthly board meetings.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
Education and Experience
- College graduate and a minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience.
- Experience working within diverse professional populations.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications required (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite).
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to update websites (WordPress) and manage social media sites.
- Experience working with budgets and financial documents, working knowledge of credit card transactions, general bookkeeping practices, and procedures. (QuickBooks a plus)
- Demonstrated experience in adjusting and anticipating the needs of an Executive, as well as events and projects.
- Non-profit experience desired; background in events planning and/or development a plus.
- Able to pass a background check.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The Berkeley Public Library Foundation amplifies the public investment to make a great public library extraordinary. We raise funds to provide support for library innovations, capital improvements, and literacy projects. We are a small nonprofit with an active board of directors, 2 employees, and a dedicated group of volunteers who host an annual Authors Dinner gala and other programs throughout the year. Together, with our donor community of individuals, businesses, foundations, and organizational partners we help expand STEM literacy, jumpstart new projects, re-build and re-imagine library spaces, and advance the Library’s strategic goals.
Essential functions are typically performed in a shared office space at the Central Library. Five to 6 hours per day spent at a computer, sitting, talking, keying and/or listening. Adjustable standing desk provided. Moving, reaching with hands and arms will be required. Occasional stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and lifting up to 25 pounds. During special events, work is performed at other venues including, but not limited to, branch libraries, restaurants, private homes, and theaters. Some circumstances require long periods of walking and standing. Occasional travel in the Bay Area requiring a valid driver’s license may be necessary.
Reports to: Executive Director
Schedule: 25 or 30 hours per week, occasional evenings and weekends. The typical work week is Monday - Friday 9 – 3:00 pm. Exceptions include board meeting evenings, typically one per month on the 3rd or 4th Wednesday and/or special events.
Salary: Non-exempt hourly position @ $26 p/hr plus $650 monthly perdiem for healthcare.
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.
More searches like this
- Administrative / Clerical Science / Technology $40,000 - $49,999 Part Time jobs in Berkeley
- Development / Fundraising Science / Technology $40,000 - $49,999 Part Time jobs in Berkeley
- Event Planning Science / Technology $40,000 - $49,999 Part Time jobs in Berkeley
- Marketing / Communications Science / Technology $40,000 - $49,999 Part Time jobs in Berkeley
- Technology / Data Management Science / Technology $40,000 - $49,999 Part Time jobs in Berkeley