Director of Finance
- Position Type
- Full Time
Director of Finance
Hidden Villa is seeking a collaborative, tech-savvy leader for the organization's finance function. In partnership with the Executive Director and Senior Management Team, the Director of Finance formulates and implements policies, procedures, and technology solutions to achieve Hidden Villa’s short- and long-term goals. This role reports to the Executive Director, supervises a full-time staff accountant, and acts as a partner to all department heads in financial matters. The ideal candidate is steeped in non-profit financial management, has strong analytical and interpersonal skills, is an expert in multi-system data management and has a strong understanding of the use of technology solutions for finance.
Hidden Villa is a nonprofit educational organization that uses its organic farm, wilderness, and community to teach and provide opportunities to learn about the environment and social justice. Hidden Villa stretches over 1,600 acres of open space in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, about 40 miles south of San Francisco. Hidden Villa fosters educational experiences that build connections and inspire a deeper appreciation and respect for nature, food, and one another. The organization has 35 employees with an annual budget of $4M and an endowment of $7M.
- A proactive, hands-on approach to own the organization’s accounting function.
- Build up the accounting function across the organization and serve as point of contact for all department requests. Work with a variety of databases containing program participant and revenue information.
- Work with the Executive Director to help ensure an organizational perspective for business process decisions.
- Drive the financial closing and reporting process, coordinating activities and analysis with teams across the organization; pursue improvements to quality and timeliness.
- Full cycle general ledger monthly close process and related activities, ensuring accounts are properly reconciled, reported and recorded in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
- Implement, document and maintain effective internal controls.
- Prepare/review auditor documentation requests and work closely with our auditors to ensure successful audits and timely filing of financial statements and IRS Form 990; prepare other annual tax and information filings.
- Prepare annual budget and reforecast, working with department heads.
- Perform the treasury function, monitoring bank and investment balances in partnership with an outside investment manager.
- Partner with Development staff on grant budgets and reports, restricted grant tracking, and revenue recognition, including stock gifts.
- Oversee the work of the Staff Accountant and perform those duties in their absence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management is required.
- Minimum of six years experience in progressively responsible finance positions including two years of management experience is required.
- Non-profit accounting experience required.
- Master’s degree in accounting or business administration or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated expertise of accounting, spreadsheet, and database management.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks Online, MS Office programs and facility with current technology in general is required.
- Experience with information technology integrations.
- Knowledge of labor laws, including the ability to comply with the federal and state employment requirements
- Ability to apply consistent standards while adapting to frequent changes in the organization’s requirements.
- Effective balance between attention to detail and swift execution.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time exempt position with a salary DOE. This position requires occasional weekend and evening work during events and board meetings. Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds and spend many hours each day at the computer. Hidden Villa provides a benefit package that includes vacation and sick leave; medical, dental, acupuncture/chiropractic, retirement, and life insurance benefits. Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with submission of fingerprints and the subsequent successful background check. Hidden Villa is a nonsmoking, dog-friendly environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter will be considered a writing sample.
Hidden Villa is committed to diversity in our workplace and our programs. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected category.