Meeting and Event Planning Assistant
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago and Washington, DC.
The Meeting and Event Planning Assistant provides on-going administrative and logistical support to the events team and works under direct supervision of the Meeting and Event Planning Manager. The primary focus of this position is to help plan and execute internal events, meetings, trainings and retreats. The Meeting and Event Planning Assistant will support the events team in all aspects of events, from scoping and invitations to execution and debriefing.
- Draft general correspondence and other communications on behalf of events team.
- Organize data, files and materials for various events throughout the year.
- Compile information and prepare reports on event attendance and survey results.
- Make travel arrangements for staff and attendees who need extra support.
- Schedule meetings for events teams and committees.
- Respond to requests for assistance from staff and event attendees.
- Follow well-defined meeting parameters and ensure that defined policies and procedures are implemented.
- Assist Meeting and Events Planner and Manager in researching venues, menus, amenities and activities.
- Coordinate specific logistics of meetings, such as speaker engagement, housing, transportation, material preparation, registration and signage.
- Maintain various databases of preferred venues and contractors.
- Disseminate information as directed.
- Assist with onsite meeting management, actively setting up and striking events and assisting where appropriate with errands and general jobs.
- Assist team with risk management, safety and security at events.
- Identify and solve problems within scope of responsibility.
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers.
- Act as backup to Meeting and Events Planner on Concur and as travel agency liaison.
- Train on Reception and act as backup when Admin staff are in a meeting or unavailable.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years experience preferred.
- The equivalent of two years of non-profit administrative experience, preferably in meetings and events support.
- Highly organized individual with the ability to assist with multiple projects at once.
- Self-starter with an excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of Canva and/or Adobe Photoshop preferred.
- Computer literacy.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills to include active listening and questioning skills.
- Ability to implement standardized operating procedures and follow clear directions.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours during meetings and events.
- This position may require occasional travel.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Organizational awareness and knowledge of corporate standards and procedures.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a:
- Cover letter.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Interested candidates should submit requested documents online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.