- Experience Level
Albany or Rochester, NY – Full time, Exempt position
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Empire Justice Center is a statewide, mission-driven organization dedicated to using the law to gain improvements in social and economic justice in New York State. Our mission is to protect and strengthen the legal rights of people in New York State who are poor, disabled or disenfranchised through: systems change advocacy, training and support to other advocates and organizations, and high quality direct civil legal representation. For over forty years, this powerful multi-pronged approach – of practicing the law, improving the law, and teaching the law – has provided needed assistance to clients attaining deeper and longer lasting impacts on systems.
Empire Justice Center has an annual budget of $7M and over 60 employees. With offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester County, and on Long Island, we attract and employ dedicated, determined, and zealous advocates who, together, make a significant impact on the lives of low-income New Yorkers. Empire Justice Center offers staff an exciting and dynamic working environment and a strong commitment to teamwork, diversity, and personal/professional development. Our staff is passionate about and committed to, protecting and strengthening the legal rights of our clients, and knows that working on behalf of the poor, disabled, or disenfranchised is a privilege.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
After eighteen years at the helm, our President/CEO is retiring. Empire Justice Center seeks a visionary leader for one of the most highly respected and effective legal services organizations serving low-income individuals and families in New York State. The CEO/President will be inspiring, motivating, and innovative, a leader in the world of social justice and legal services, who will foster a culture of diversity, inclusivity, and interconnectedness.
Empire Justice Center is a unique organization and presents unique opportunities. We focus on a variety of issue areas, provide diverse services, employ a staff of varying experience and expertise, and work in five offices across the state. This is an exciting period of growth and change for the organization. We recently created the position of V.P. of Diversity, Inclusion and Human Resources, and are hiring a new Chief Litigation Officer. The new President/CEO will have the opportunity to work with this new leadership team to engage in strategic planning and ensure that the organization continues to function as a cohesive unit in support of its mission.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE NEXT PRESIDENT/CEO
- Articulate a compelling vision for the future of the Empire Justice Center.
- Lead and inspire a large organization diverse in geography, programs, and staff.
- Provide proactive fiscal management and oversight to assure Empire Justice remains a viable and fiscally stable organization.
- Serve as the chief executive officer with overall strategic and operational responsibility for staff, programs, finances, and execution of its mission.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, provide leadership in strategic planning for the organization and lead staff in developing program and organizational plans that are linked to the overall strategic plan.
- Serve as Empire Justice’s organizational spokesperson and liaison to critical partners, including the New York State Bar Association, the Office of Court Administration, the leadership of the state’s Executive and Legislative branches, key state agencies, the Access to Justice community and the leadership of the legal services community.
- Build and strengthen Empire Justice’s reputation by establishing positive and productive working relationships with public, private, and not-for profit organizations, private donors, foundations, corporate and government leaders.
- Lead, coach, develop, attract, retain and cultivate high quality staff with a commitment to nurturing diversity in the workplace.
- Work with the Board of Directors to effectively develop solutions to organizational, financial, legal and political challenges.
- Promote the highest standards of ethics, integrity, respect, and humility.
- Respect the dignity and promote the growth of each staff member.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Five to ten years of demonstrated leadership experience in a not for profit, community, or legal setting.
- Experience serving on and/or working with a Board of Directors.
- Experience developing and managing organizational budgets.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire staff, community leaders, and funders.
- Willingness to travel throughout New York State, including to Empire Justice Center’s offices in Rochester, Albany, Westchester County, and Long Island.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and improving the lives of low income and marginalized persons.
- Successful leadership in a multi-million dollar organization with a diverse team of administrative, legal, and policy staff in a multi-office nonprofit organization.
- Familiarity with New York State’s political, legal, and social environment, and laws and issues affecting low income people.
- Demonstrated expertise with legislative advocacy and/or fundraising.
- Proven knowledge of financial matters including development of budget, compliance with grant and contract requirements, and financial reporting and oversight.
- Successful experience in resource development and pursuing new funding streams.
- Keen understanding of an advocate’s ethical duties and responsibilities to their client as well as appreciation of the powerful impact that the law has on those who are marginalized.
- Decisive, results-oriented leader with a highly collaborative and inclusive approach to management.
- Awareness and willingness to address racial and other disparities and implicit biases in the office, the justice and political systems, and the larger culture.
- Juris Doctor or other advanced degree (master’s or doctorate) in an area relevant to Empire Justice Center’s mission.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on the organization’s salary scale.
Empire Justice Center benefits package includes health insurance, pension, life insurance, paid parental leave, vacation, holiday, personal and sick time. We are an organization that supports and encourages a work/life balance.
Applicants are asked to submit a letter expressing in detail your interest in the position, how your experience meets or exceeds the qualifications of this posting, and what you hope to contribute to the organization’s future; a current resume; and the names and contact information for three professional references
Position is open until filled, but for full consideration please apply by April 24th, 2019.
Empire Justice Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer who desires a diverse workforce. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, individuals who are elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Albany
- Development / Fundraising Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Albany
- Executive / Senior Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Albany
- Legal Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Albany
- Program / Project Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility Full Time jobs in Albany