Chief Finance and Administrative Officer
- Experience Level
Title: Chief Finance and Administrative Officer Department: Administration
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer/President
Summary: Inspiritus, Inc. is a $15M statewide nonprofit agency with a mission to promote services that enhance the stability, wellness, health, and safety of individuals and families in Georgia. Inspiritus, Inc. serves those in need with integrity, love and kindness in order to change lives, restore dignity, work for justice, and bring hope, healing and strength.
The CFAO is a key leadership role reporting to the CEO in the areas of Finance, Technology
Infrastructure, Compliance, Risk Management and Human Resources requiring strong problem-solving skills and analysis of organizational impact. The role has primary day to day responsibility for planning, directing, implementing and controlling all fiscal functions, systems and activities of Inspiritus, Inc. in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) other regulatory and advisory organizations that are appropriate with the non-profit industry. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, financial analysis of program/service performance, property management, financial compliance with contract requirements, and institutional financing. As a member of the senior management team, the CFAO will be involved in strategic planning and is required to work effectively with others to accomplish organizational goals as developed by staff and Board.
Essential Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
Program Planning and Development
- Participates in the development of the agency's plans and programs as a strategic partner. Evaluates and advises on the financial impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action. Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization.
- Works with the President/CEO and the Board of Directors in developing and achieving agency goals, policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of program and proposal budgets. Acts as the agency financial advisor on all agency contracts and agreements.
Develops, oversees, and evaluates all agency fiscal policies and procedures. Ensures that agency internal financial controls are in accordance with generally accepted accounting and all rules and regulations governing 501 and (c) (3) agencies and funders.
- Ensures agency fiscal compliance with all contract, grant and foundation requirements.
- Develops a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism. Reviews the cash position of the agency daily; anticipates cash needs for the agency and, through forecasting and management of financial systems and resources; proposes to the CEO and implements plans for the maintenance of adequate funds to meet outstanding and planned commitments.
- Oversees the activities of the accounting function for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements and annual audits and annual budgets.
- Prepares financial reports that summarize and forecast agency business activity and financial position.
- Monitors, evaluates and, as appropriate, develops and/or modifies all expense processes and procedures and to ensure financial efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Supervises the accounts receivable function to ensure the accurate management of all receivable accounts, aging components including billings, cash receipts application etc. to ensure timely collection of all accounts due.
- Directs studies of general and specific economic, business and financial developments and forecasts the impact of these on agency operations, policies and the annual budget.
- Oversees Inspiritus, Inc. investments and funds.
Management and Supervision
- Supervises the Accounting, Compliance, Risk Management, Information Technology and Human Resources staff.
- Establishes the internal structures needed to maintain fiscal controls including policies and procedures needed to be fully compliant with all regulatory requirements for all contracts and agreements.
- Maintain 100% compliance with all GAAP criteria, all government & contract regulations & all funders’ contract/grant terms.
- Provides technical financial advice and knowledge to agency staff.
- Directs the preparation of the agency's annual budget; assures that programs adhere to their budgets and performs periodic internal audits of programs and services to ensure contractual compliance and cost efficiency. Strives to continually improve the budgeting process through education of staff on financial issues impacting their budgets.
- Develops systems and enforces policies and procedures that will improve the overall financial operation and effectiveness of the agency.
- Oversees the agency's external audits and reports progress and actions to the CEO/President. Implements corrections and improvements as required.
- Creates and/or oversees the preparation of all required and other useful financial statements and reports for internal and external use; provides statements and reports for the audit. Ensures their accuracy, timeliness and usefulness in promoting sound agency fiscal management and decision making.
- Reviews all leases and agreements for timely and accurate execution.
- Generates and submits timely financial reports that accurately and fully reflect the financial status of all agency accounts and assets.
- Maintains accurate and organized system of accounts; retains records of all agency transactions and assets; reconciles all accounts. Analyzes, interprets and communicates financial operating results to provide information to senior leaders and program managers.
- Assures protection of INSPIRITUS, INC. assets through an internal loss prevention program; maintains an up to date asset inventory.
- Works with and monitors the agency Resource Development department to accurately track donated revenues both cash and in-kind.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with financial institutions within the community.
Professional Growth and Development
- Develop personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities.
Professionalism and Confidentiality
- Ensure that all services are high quality, cost effective, consistent with the mission of Inspiritus, Inc. and meet the agency's moral and ethical standards.
- Model exemplary engagement, professionalism, responsibility and self-determination.
- Comply with and adhere to agency Security Policy and all HIPAA laws, rules and regulations.
- Develops credibility among the finance group and senior leaders by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets and financial reports.
- Positive conviction about the capacity of people to grow and change.
Non-Essential Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Conforms with and adheres to all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet agency and program needs.
- May speak on behalf of CEO/President as needed.
- B.S. degree in accounting, finance or business administration required.
- Minimum 10 to 15 years higher level of extensive fiscal management experience, preferably in non-profit and corporate business environments.
- Demonstrated strong & highly successful management skills – provide examples of management performance with significant positive results.
- Experience in forecasting financial results and in formulating and managing multiple complex budgets while maintaining highest level of accuracy & timeliness for all financial reporting & accounting operations
- Must be a strategic thinker and have experience planning, developing and implementing systems that support the agency's goals and objectives.
- Must have excellent computer skills and advanced proficiency in electronic financial management and database tools demonstrating strong, successful experience in controlling & maintaining total integrity/accuracy of all Fiscal functions, Financial reporting, Analysis & Forecasting, Accounting Operations along with all other related Data Base & Software Systems.
- Demonstrated experience in working within and managing a diverse workforce, both professional and support staff. Must have ability to develop staff leadership skills and create and nurture cohesiveness among staff members by building a highly effective level of trust among Finance Department staff, senior managers and throughout an organization.
- Ability to Demonstrates Firmness, Fairness & Friendliness/Respect in working with others
1) Serves Staff & co-workers and supports work of others
2) Earns Respect of co-workers
3) Very effective Listener
4) Learns from others – must be open-minded
5) Strong Leader
- Must have proven excellent communication skills in both written and oral modalities.
- Must be able to provide regular and reliable attendance and to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Willingness to travel and stay overnight as needed.
- Valid Georgia driver's license, proof of liability insurance, and ability to drive for Agency business.
- Commitment to the mission of Inspiritus, Inc.
- MBA, or Advanced Degree in Finance and/or Marketing Mgmt. and/or CPA preferred
- Experience in non-profit financial management
- Experience with MIP (Abilia/Sage) accounting software
- Experience with PAYCOM HRIS/Payroll