Director of Communications
- Experience Level
If you are an experienced master of language and communications, join us to develop, shape and share Save the Redwoods League’s compelling story. You will build and steward the League’s audience, define and refine a clear, consistent and compelling League voice across all communications channels, ensure all communications channels are fully integrated, create and disseminate relevant and timely content that will amplify the League’s voice, and inspire the public to engage in our mission and vision.
As a vital member of the marketing and communications teams, the Director of Communications collaborates with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer to develop and implement an integrated communications plan focused on educating and informing the conservation community and League supporters around the world about the League’s 100-year vision to protect and restore our redwood forests and connect people to their peace and beauty.
Since its founding, Save the Redwoods League has protected more than 200,000 acres of forests and helped create 66 redwood parks and preserves for everybody to enjoy. To learn more about us, go to www.SaveTheRedwoods.org
- Establishes organizational standards in messaging and narrative at the macro (mission and vision) and micro (project-by-project) level across departments and channels and consistent with the League’s brand and voice
- Develops, writes, edits and disseminates inspirational League stories
- Works with League staff, partners, directors and councilors in areas of enterprising story ideas, story development, writing and story presentation
Print and Digital Communications:
- Collaborates with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer; sets the strategy and direction for all League communications channels
- Writes original content for League publications
- Collaborates with internal and external partners and key stakeholders; coordinates and oversees the story collection, production and distribution process
- Crafts editorial calendars and re-purposes stories across platforms to maximize the League’s impact, reach and engagement
- Directs all aspects and execution of the League’s editorial process
- Works with the League’s Storyteller/Writer & Editor to develop and produce consistent messages of our projects
- Reviews and edits content for all League channels; oversees all proofreading, branding and fact checking procedures
Building the Audience:
- Develops a multi-channel content strategy that inspires, educates and motivates League stakeholders to action and builds an informed and inspired audience
- Collaborates with the Chief Communications Officer, Senior, Digital Marketing Manager and Senior Annual Fund Manager to define and drive digital marketing strategies, creates a positive user experience on our websites, platforms and applications
Leading Team Redwoods
- With guidance from the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, leads the marketing and communications teams through the shaping of the League’s voice and unique perspective; ensures that our editorial, social, and digital channels elevate our mission and strengthen connections with the League’s brand
- Establishes and monitors performance and development goals for direct reports: assigns accountabilities; sets objectives, establishes priorities; and conducts annual performance appraisals
- Together with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, develops and produces annual plan and budget
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Strong commitment to the mission of Save the Redwoods League
- A Master’s Degree in journalism, investigative reporting, communications, public relations, content marketing and/or marketing communications preferred
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in print/digital media publishing; demonstrated ability to work with writers, editors, designers, fact- checkers and other freelancers to develop strong and compelling content
- Skilled in print or web based technologies: Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote, Adobe ImageReady, Photoshop, Pagemaker, Content Management Systems, Illuminate, Mail Chimp, Sendible, WooBox, Eventbrite etc; or ability to learn very quickly
- Desktop publishing/graphic design experience preferred
- Understanding of Search Engine Optimization and writing for the web
- Excellent writing, copyediting and proofreading skills; knowledge of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, The Chicago Manual of Style or Associated Press’ Stylebook
- Ability to execute and develop brand compliant content and engaging storytelling
- Experience in data-driven content marketing, content analytics, and optimization
- Proven experience as managing editor, communications director or relevant role
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and adapt to frequent changes or unexpected events in regards to project work
- Sense of humor, dependable, excellent positive attitude
- Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate and coach staff
- Knowledge of libel laws and ethical foundations of journalism.
- Occasional weekend and evening responsibilities
- Occasionally required to hike through forest land while working off-site including walking on uneven ground, climbing over obstacles, and accessing remote locations
- Occasionally lifts, carries or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 30 pounds
We provide excellent benefits including paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental, transit benefits, life insurance and a generous 401K!
If this fits you, please submit your resume, cover letter, salary expectations and writing samples to: -- please put "Director of Communications" in the subject line of your e-mail.
NO CALLS PLEASE . . . we are busy protecting redwoods. THANK YOU!
Save the Redwoods League is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Fluent English speakers who are bi- or multi-lingual, including indigenous language speakers, are encouraged to apply.