Overnight Shelter Advocate
- Willingness to Travel
- Not willing to travel
Position Title: Night Shelter Advocate (Overnight)
Department: Shelter Services
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt; 40 hours per week Monday – Friday; possible weekends and holiday coverage.
Reports to: Manager of Programs/Shelter
Job Purpose: The Night Shelter Advocate (Overnight) provides crisis intervention, victim’s assistance and advocacy; assess residential program participants’ needs and coordinate with Case Managers, to provide a comprehensive program for each and act as residential case manager.
- Provide immediate crisis intervention via telephone.
- Assess client needs; assist with safety planning.
- Provide emotional support, information regarding all known options, assistance in working out a plan of action acceptable to callers and residents.
- Make decisions as to admittance of shelter residents using approved guidelines.
- Work with staff to coordinate follow up services.
- Assess legal advocacy needs of residents and crisis line callers; coordinate service provision with Legal Advocate.
- Coordinate after hour’s client transportation emergencies with on-call personnel.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and dissemination of information on referral resources to program participants. Make referrals to other appropriate agencies/services and coordinate Family Advocates for the initial personal contact with service agencies as needed.
- Coordinate with other staff for services of women and children, act as back up for other staff as needed.
- Maintain confidential client files.
- Keep stats for funding as requested on a daily basis and turn in completed monthly. (Every staff member has a clipboard of requested stat reports and is responsible to see stats are in administrative office in a timely manner)
- Maintain and disseminate resource information on domestic violence issues.
- Assist with special events as delegated by Executive Director.
- Participate in all program staff meetings, in-service training, and required conferences and meetings.
- Perform intake and exit services as needed. Explain forms and see that all forms are signed, assign room, personal toiletry items, explain House Rules and regulations to new clients and insure compliance of rules on shift.
- Acquaint clients with emergency procedures and implement any emergency procedures when necessary. Provide routine safety checks of the shelter and report any hazardous conditions or routine maintenance needs on the maintenance posted form.
- Contact/ communicate with law enforcement regarding safety of clients as needed.
- Maintain, regularly update, and assist in disseminating shelter needs list.
- Be available and accessible to clients for crisis intervention, and participate in house meetings with residents to discuss house guidelines and air grievances.
- Make House checks to ensure cleanliness, welfare and safety of all clients according to policy and procedure manual.
- Ensure all chores have been done.
- Maintain the shelter clean at all times
- Document shift events in staff log this can be done by hand or typed on the office “Advocate Computer” and printed at the end of your shift an inserted in the logbook.
- Provide family orientation to shelter and communal living, supervising shelter activities, promoting positive resident interaction, offering conflict resolution during disagreements, educating residents about positive communications, and routinely provide parenting and life skills guidance.
- Responsible for food, donation and supply inventory of the shelter; Keep shelves, storage unit and cabinets in organized way; Provide all food and toiletries to residents as needed; Communicate with administrative office about restocking needs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Dedication and commitment to victims/survivors of domestic violence.
- Ability to demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills; the ability to deliver quality client services and work with diverse client population.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize all aspects of the job.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and empathy;
- Ability to utilize multi-tasking skills and attend to detail.
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills required
- Ability to handle stressful, crisis situations;
- Ability to utilize sound judgment and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment;
- Comfortable giving public presentations;
- Must display professionalism and leadership qualities when dealing with other organizations, volunteers, Board Members and staff
- May be required to lift boxes up to 25 lbs.
- Experience in the field of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Bachelor degree from a four year college or university in social work or related field.
- Punctual, meticulous and reliable
- Courteous manners with the public
- Ability to physically perform the essential job functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web-based applications.
- Working knowledge of the developmental stages of childhood, including physical, cognitive and emotional stages.
This is not an exclusive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technological development).
In order to provide equal employment and advancement to all individuals, employment decisions at Family Haven will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Family Haven does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex/gender, pregnancy, age (over 40), disability, service in the uniformed services, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Forsyth County Family Haven, Inc. is an at-will employer. This means you are free to terminate your employment with Forsyth County Family Haven, Inc. at any time, with or without reason and Forsyth County Family Haven, Inc. has the right to terminate your employment at any time, with or without reason. Although Forsyth County Family Haven, Inc. may choose to terminate employment for cause, cause is not required. Apart from the policy of at will employment and those policies required by law, Forsyth County Family Haven, Inc. may change its policies or practices at any time without further notice.
I have read this job description and agree to abide by same as a guideline for my performances and evaluation criteria.