Assistant Controller - Accounting Operations
- Experience Level
The Presidio Trust is seeking an Assistant Controller of Accounting Operations to plan and direct a variety of key activities within the Division of Finance and Administration. Once an Army base, the Presidio is a unique national park located in San Francisco at the edge of the Golden Gate. With 1500 acres rich with history, nature, and open space, the Presidio contains hundreds of restored former military buildings animated by more than 3,000 residents and 200 companies, including high tech start-ups, innovative non-profits, and other organizations that offer a welcoming mix of visitor experiences. On any given day at the Presidio, you’ll find organizations pursuing new ideas, scientists conducting research, and people of all ages volunteering, learning, playing, and exploring.
Our ideal candidate brings a strong mix of both technical accounting and leadership skills, as well as a positive and motivated attitude and a life-long desire to learn. You are a superb communicator, and are able to ensure the integrity of accounting processes and data in applying your process knowledge, technical expertise, and business collaboration skills. You are results-oriented and enjoy the challenge of directing and participating in complex financial analysis assignments. You are a well-rounded, hands-on leader with a focus on detail, capable of innovating a small, but mighty, team. If you are seeking interesting work aside from the hustle and bustle of the city, and amongst San Francisco’s most iconic views, we could be a great fit!
- Coordinate activities with other sections of the Office of Accounting to ensure consistency, timelines, and accuracy of financial information. Establish closing schedules and deadlines.
- Act for the Controller by ensuring compliance with relevant laws, regulations and reporting requirements within area of supervisory control including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as promulgated within the hierarchy of GAAP by the Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB).
- Perform process reviews and routinely implement improvements that emphasize efficiency of operations and quality of outputs.
- Identify areas for technological improvement/automation to enable best use of the Trust’s resources.
- Supervise and participate in the preparation of various financial reports.
- Develop and publish organizational guidelines to promote awareness and accountability of Trust personnel.
- Support agency objectives through the development of plans and procedures as necessary.
- Encourage professional development of subordinates through mentoring and training.
- Direct the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers and prepares financial statements/reports.
- Assist with facilitation of internal and external audits. Coordinate the preparation of audit materials as required, and resolve audit comments through development of complex reconciliations.
- Assist with financial systems upgrades and integration through planning, implementation and documentation of procedures, and development of new complex reconciliations.
- Respond to management requests for information and clearly communicates findings orally and in writing.
- Provide clear and concise briefings on financial matters to Trust management and staff as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business AND at least seven years of related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of process review and simplification, and the application of technology to achieve goals.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, able to clearly and concisely interface with all levels of management.
- Critical thinker with attention to detail, who can seek innovative solutions to complex business/technical issues.
- Strong multi-tasking, project management, organization, and prioritization skills.
- Highly proficient with spreadsheet and word processing applications (satisfactory results from a hands-on Excel skills assessment are required).
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio.
- Experience with Oracle Financials and federal budgetary accounting is highly desirable.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is highly desirable.
About the Presidio Trust Finance and Administration Team
Our Finance and Administration Team is a diverse group of professionals. As part of a one-of-a-kind organization, the team brings together innovative private sector strategies while following federal policies and guidelines to develop and maintain the Presidio Trust's budget, support all accounting and reporting activities, and ensure the park is self-sufficient and continues to be available for all visitors.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to an employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes and a credit report. An individual’s granting of an investigation and resulting report is voluntary. However, employment in this sensitive position is contingent upon the successful completion of an investigation. The Presidio Trust may refuse to hire an individual, may rescind an offer of employment to an individual, or may review and terminate the employment of a current employee not successfully completing the investigation.
This position may require the completion of a U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) Financial Disclosure Report, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between official duties and private financial interests or affiliations.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Employee Support Services, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.