Vice President, Networks
- Experience Level
Vice President, Networks
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Vice President, Networks will oversee Ceres Company Network, Investor Network, and Events and Sponsorship teams, in a fast-paced, not-for-profit, organization with a $19+ million budget. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced professional to build on Ceres’ solid achievements in advancing private sector leadership on a wide range of sustainability issues.
The Vice President, Networks will serve on the five-person Program Management Team to ensure programmatic alignment, coordination and impact across the organization. S/he will supervise a diverse team of senior staff who lead strategy development and staff management of Ceres’ high-profile Company and Investor Networks. S/he will oversee and collaborate with the Company and Investor Network directors in developing and implementing strategies to cultivate and grow the Networks, advance corporate and investor sustainability practices, and engage Network member companies and investors in Ceres’ initiatives and campaigns to advance Ceres’ mission. Position is responsible for developing projects and programs that take advantage of the collective power and impact of Ceres programs and Networks.
This role has cross-organization responsibilities focused on the efficient and effective deployment of Ceres Network members and other key assets, supporting initiative and campaign priorities, participating in regular assessment of existing programs and new opportunities, communicating Ceres impact and success, and managing special projects to grow or enhance Ceres Company and Investor Networks. The VP, Networks will also oversee the Events team to produce Ceres’ signature convenings, the Ceres Conference and Investor Summit. This role is well-suited for someone with strong internal management capabilities but who will also be able to represent Ceres externally in a wide range of settings, particularly as a high-level ambassador to Ceres’ company and investor stakeholders, funders, and donors representing the organization in public and private forums. The Vice President will report to the Chief Program Officer/Executive Vice President.
Primary responsibilities for the Vice President, Networks include, but are not limited to:
- Lead overall strategy on building Ceres’ influence and impact with companies and investors through our Networks and Events.
- Serve on the cross-organizational Program Management Team, collaboratively engaging with the Chief Program Officer/Executive Vice President and the Vice Presidents of Government Relations, Initiatives and Campaigns, and Innovation and Evaluation, providing expert input and guidance into decisions affecting the development of programmatic strategy.
- Develop and implement new revenue streams for the Networks, including multiyear planning for Network growth, new fee structures, and expansion of fee-for-service work.
- Partner with ET and PMT colleagues on strategic allocation of resources.
- Oversee development of and continually increase the impact of the Ceres Conference and Investor Summit by growing participation of institutional investors, C-Suite company executives and capital market leaders, while ensuring incorporation of innovative approaches to scaling up sustainable solutions.
- Design, develop, and implement cross-organizational efforts that integrate Ceres corporate and investor members.
- Oversee development and execution of growth projects for the Company or Investor Networks.
- Partner with Innovation and Evaluation to assess and propose new revenue models for company and investor engagement.
- Supervise and support Program Directors ensuring they are resourced and empowered to lead on staff, program, and budget management to achieve the objectives of their specific teams.
- Support senior staff to build diverse teams, to include a mixed composition of race, gender identity, and socio-economic background, to better reflect the populations we are working with and working to positively impact.
- Guide and mentor staff in development of strategies to grow and steward Ceres’ Company and Investor Networks
- Guide and mentor staff in development of strategy to optimize Ceres’ events, showcasing our impact, staff expertise, and our partners while increasing revenue.
- Identify and implement new opportunities to integrate and leverage the work of the Company and Investor Networks.
- Partner with the VP of Government Relations to assure coordination between Company Network and Policy Network, also identifying partnership opportunities between the two corporate networks.
- Regularly solicit programmatic and issue expertise from senior staff, including the other Vice Presidents and Program Directors, within the organization to support effective decision-making and program development.
- Oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of results-driven and integrated cross-program annual work plans.
- Work in partnership with the Development and Finance teams to develop and deliver fundraising targets.
- Support Development as needed in major donor and foundation cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Ensure senior staff are showcased as issue experts and elevate their and Ceres’ public profile, including serving as spokespeople for Ceres’ work.
- When needed, engage in high-level external relationships on behalf of Ceres’ Company and Investor Networks to increase Ceres’ influence and support active campaigns.
- Other duties as they arise.
- Graduate degree, in relevant area, preferred. Bachelor degree required.
- 15 years of relevant work experience in roles of progressive responsibility. Experience in private sector desired.
- Experience as a senior leader and manager in a fast-paced, nonprofit organization. Experience with environmental or sustainability issues desired.
- Demonstrated record of supervising senior staff to achieve organizational programmatic and fundraising goals.
- Proven track record of results-driven strategic program management is required, including demonstrated success in supervising senior staff to achieve organizational programmatic and fundraising goals.
- Demonstrated success in building and managing diverse teams, including gender identity, people of color, and people from various socio-economic backgrounds, and supporting an inclusive work place, where everyone has an opportunity for advancement.
- Strong relationship management skills with external partners and funders is necessary for success in this position.
- Experienced cultivating effective supervisory relationships (across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic background) with direct reports and managing senior level staff and teams.
- Proven track record and successful engagement in a public relations or external communications role.
- Demonstrated success in both halves of the resource equation—cultivating and closing income prospects, and managing and deploying staff and budgets.
- Entrepreneurial attitude.
- Ability to both build strong, stable programs and to innovate and take advantage of strategic opportunities.
- Broad understanding of how to build effective collaborations across other program areas, departments, and different levels of staff across the organization.
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in this position, please submit a resume and cover letter, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.