Youth Program Assistant
- Position Type
- Part Time
San Francisco Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Community Center
JOB TITLE: Youth Program Assistant
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Youth Programs
STATUS: Part-time/25 hours per week/Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $22/hour; paid medical insurance, vacation time, health days & holidays
SCHEDULE: Tuesday – Saturday, including some evenings
Summary: Youth Services at the SF LGBT Center include structured group programming, crisis intervention, referrals, leadership development, dedicated drop-in youth space, on-site access to therapy & counseling, and a Host Home program. Low-barrier services are designed to reach disconnected lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQQ) youth ages 16-24. The program is rooted in community building, trauma-informed care and harm reduction models. A high percentage of program participants have experienced physical and/or sexual abuse, homelessness, engagement with criminal justice and/or foster care systems, substance use/abuse, and/or mental health challenges.
Role Overview: Under the direction of the Associate Director of Youth Programs, the Youth Program Assistant supports drop in and group programs in the areas of health and wellness, arts and culture, economic empowerment, leadership, and community building.
- Support Youth Services activities and programming such as drop in, workshops, meal nights, special events, and the Youth Leadership Council. Support may include: supervision and co-facilitation of group activities; helping with creation of curricula and workshop materials; and assisting with coordination of services provided by collaborative partners
- Participate in ongoing development of community agreements and policies related to the youth space and ensure these are followed in the provision of youth services
- Assist in identifying program participants who have crisis intervention, case management or behavioral issues, and refer them to internal or external resources for support
- Support activities conducted by collaborative partners, including maintaining appropriate relationships with partner program staff and basic understanding of referral/resource networks for transitional age youth
- Assist with community outreach activities at local events, festivals, conferences, resource fairs and street outreach to encourage program promotion and participation
- Update and maintain youth program related social media.
- Ensure data is collected and entered into database system
- Ensure program materials and supplies are adequate for program needs, including updating inventory
- Assist with daily maintenance of youth space, including light janitorial
- Actively participate as a member of the program team, including provision of back up for other program staff as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience
- Commitment to the mission of the SF LGBT Center and a strong commitment to racial, social and economic justice. Experience and commitment to working in a multicultural environment.
- Understanding of the needs of vulnerable LGBTQ communities, strategies to meet their needs, and ability to work with a broad range of constituents, program participants, and stakeholders representing the full diversity of the LGBTQ and allied communities. A champion for building pathways for people not served by mainstream systems.
- Minimum one-year experience working with LGBTQQ youth and/or homeless and/or marginally housed, disengaged transitional age youth (16 – 24).
- Strong cultural competency regarding transgender and gender non-conforming youth, communities of color, and youth needing mental health support.
- Experience with drop-in services and/or workshop facilitation strongly preferred.
- Ability to work within a harm reduction model and trauma informed programs
- Experience providing services addressing homelessness, violence, substance use, mental health, and/or criminal justice systems.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality. As youth services are provided within a collaborative context, position may need to meet guidelines established by collaborative partners to share confidential client information across agencies.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively with supervisor, and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer/PC literacy, including Internet proficiency, Microsoft Office software and networked systems. Salesforce experience desired.
- Fluency in English is required. Bilingual or ASL skills highly desired.
- Criminal background and TB Test clearance required.
THE SF LGBT CENTER
The mission of the Center is to connect our diverse community to opportunities, resources and each other to achieve our vision of a stronger, healthier, and more equitable world for LGBT people and our allies. The Center’s strategies inspire and strengthen our community by:
• Fostering greater opportunities for people to thrive.
• Organizing for our future.
• Celebrating our history and culture.
• Building resources to create a legacy for future generations
The SF LGBT Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or inter-sex are encouraged to apply. The SF LGBT Center maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition, perceived physical disability or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by statute.
Submit: Cover letter expressing your interest and resume detailing experience/qualifications
SF LGBT Community Center
1800 Market Street
San Francisco CA 94102
Please include: Youth Program Assistant in subject line
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Deadline: open until filled