- Experience Level
The Presidio Trust is seeking a Controller to direct the financial activities of the Trust. Once an Army base, the Presidio is a unique national park located in San Francisco at the edge of the Golden Gate. With 1500 acres rich with history, nature, and open space, the Presidio contains hundreds of restored former military buildings animated by more than 3,000 residents and 200 companies, including high tech start-ups, innovative non-profits, and other organizations that offer a welcoming mix of visitor experiences. On any given day at the Presidio, you’ll find organizations pursuing new ideas, scientists conducting research, and people of all ages volunteering, learning, playing, and exploring.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced Controller who loves numbers, but can also plug into and inspire a committed team. You have robust technical accounting and fundamental skills, and an ability to communicate a vision for the department. Your proactivity and resourcefulness aligns your attention to detail with high output, and you are able to do things quickly, do them well, and ensure the integrity of accounting processes and data. If you are seeking interesting work aside from the hustle and bustle of the city, and amongst San Francisco’s most iconic views, we could be a great fit!
- Oversee accounting operations including general ledger maintenance, accounts receivable and payable, project and fixed asset accounting, and billing and collections activities.
- Develop and manage comprehensive program of financial policy and financial control which includes aligning resources with the mission, human capital, and information management priorities. Financial program includes but is not limited to funds control, resource management, financial systems, managerial financial reporting and analysis, internal control, travel, cost recovery, and accounting for grants and donations.
- Provide management direction and serve as a financial advisor to management. Recommend modifications to existing programs and develop programs to enhance current practices or accommodate new business lines.
- Prepare reports which summarize and forecast business activity and financial position, and develop complex financial analysis as appropriate.
- Establish and improve system controls for new and existing financial systems, and participate in system implementation through coordination and leadership of the accounting functions. Identify areas for technological improvement/automation to enable best use of the organization’s resources.
- Provide management with timely reviews of organization's financial status and progress in its various programs and activities.
- Arrange for and oversee the audit of the annual financial statements and other financial audits as required.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of various financial reports to include reports required by regulatory agencies, financial statements, etc.
- Perform process reviews and routinely implement improvements that emphasize efficiency of operations and quality of outputs.
- Possess a broad knowledge of principles, methods, techniques, and systems of financial management.
- Provide staff with internal professional development. Possess technical knowledge and the ability to cross train subordinate staff on a myriad of technical issues.
- Direct and coordinate difficult and complex programs.
- Coordinate the process for federal reporting to government regulatory agencies in accordance with their standards and directions.
- Prepare and present to the audit committee as necessary.
- Develop plans to attain agency objectives.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) OR at least ten years of recent financial accounting experience, AND at least 5 years of experience managing an accounting team
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, able to clearly and concisely interface with all levels of management
- Critical thinker who can seek innovative solutions to complex business/technical issues and multitask in a fast paced environment
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, combined with impeccable business judgement
- Strong organizational and leadership skills with above average accuracy
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong emphasis on integrity and teamwork
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio.
- Experience with Oracle Financials and federal budgetary accounting is highly desirable.
About the Presidio Trust Finance and Administration Team
Our Finance and Administration Team is a diverse group of professionals. As part of a one-of-a-kind organization, the team brings together innovative private sector strategies while following federal policies and guidelines to develop and maintain the Presidio Trust's budget, support all accounting and reporting activities, and ensure the park is self-sufficient and continues to be available for all visitors.
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to an employment background investigation which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records, state bankruptcy indexes and a credit report. An individual’s granting of an investigation and resulting report is voluntary. However, employment in this sensitive position is contingent upon the successful completion of an investigation. The Presidio Trust may refuse to hire an individual, may rescind an offer of employment to an individual, or may review and terminate the employment of a current employee not successfully completing the investigation.
This position may require the completion of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics (OGE) Form 278, Public Financial Disclosure Report, both as a New Entrant into the position and annually thereafter. The purpose of the financial disclosure system is to assist employees and their agencies in avoiding conflicts between official duties and private financial interests or affiliations.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Employee Support Services, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.