VP Development, Marketing and Communications, Chronic Diseases
- Experience Level
Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) is a U.S. non-profit, 501 (c)(3), dedicated to fundraising for and facilitating open, collaborative medical research into chronic complex diseases with a primary focus on ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and diseases with overlapping symptoms, such as chronic Lyme and Fibromyalgia.
OMF’s Scientific Advisory Board is highly credentialed and world renowned, including two Nobel laureates. OMF funds three collaborating research centers housed at Harvard, Stanford and Uppsala University in Sweden. In addition, OMF funds the gathering of an International Working Group of over 65 top researchers who actively collaborate to find answers for over 20 million affected around the world.
Currently, OMF seeks a visionary marketing, communications and development professional who will serve in a key leadership role for the organization. The Vice President of Marketing, Communications and Development (VPMCD) is responsible for the planning, development and implementation of OMF’s marketing, communications and fundraising strategies to enhance public awareness of both ME/CFS and Open Medicine Foundation with the objective of increasing fundraising to at least 5 times current levels ($4 million to $20 million annually). These goals should be achieved through a diverse mix of marketing, communications, and fundraising strategies using the full range of traditional and digital tools available. The individual will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and work closely with the Director of Communications and Development (DCD).
Responsibilities (will include, but not be limited to the following) Strategic Planning & Execution
- Responsible for developing a short and long term comprehensive strategic plan for enhancing marketing, communications, and development, with targeted goals, objectives, methods, analytics, and quantifiable outcomes and timelines, in collaboration with the CEO, and the Director of Communications & Development (DCD).
- Marketing: including managing the production and distribution of quality ancillary materials, including case statements, PowerPoint slides, presentations, and other materials for the CEO, organization and fundraising purposes while ensuring consistency in branding and positive messaging. Responsible for engaging, cultivating and managing press/public relationships to ensure coverage surrounding OMF programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Communications: including developing and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy along with the DCD to maintain a dynamic website, timely e-newsletters, and branding with quality and professionalism. Responsible to enhance and grow a strong positive focused social media presence using all available digital tools for fundraising and communication.
- Development: including architecting and executing a comprehensive development plan with the DCD that ensures the sustainability of the organization and continuous financial growth including donor retention and stewardship. The goal is to scale up OMF’s revenue in order to fund research and education activities at least 5 times current levels within the next 3-5 years.
Budgeting, Revenue Targets, Expense Management
Responsible for developing and monitoring a realistic annual fundraisingbudget with revenue and expense projections, with the Treasurer, CEO, and DCD.
Management of Personnel and Third-Party Resources
Responsible for management and development of a team (including volunteers, paid staff and contractors) that is able to support and execute the communications, marketing, and development strategy.
- Bachelor's Degree required with at least 5 years' experience in nonprofit management
- Master's degree or Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) accreditation preferred
- Proven experience in nonprofit marketing, communications and development -Expertise in digital marketing, including social media marketing and internet marketing optimization
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Meticulous and Detail oriented- conscientious, diligent, and accurate
- Successfully demonstrated the ability to grow an organization through visionary marketing, communications, and development strategies
- Proven success in areas of major gifts from individual and corporate giving as well as grant writing
- High energy, outgoing, team player, and a passion for OMF's mission
- Working mastery of computer programs including: Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel (familiarity with Blackbaud's e-Tapestry a plus)
- Ability to attend meetings in Agoura Hills, CA, and travel as needed.