Garden Camp Director
- Experience Level
San Francisco Botanical Garden has launched its first-ever summer camp program, Garden Camp. Garden Camp will serve 600 rising K-3rd grade campers, June 5-August 16, with an all- outdoors, immersive program. Garden Camp will connect children to plants through a combination of structured, themed activities and open-ended time to develop curiosity, initiative, imagination and creativity. Themes include gardening, art, wellness, and ecology and weekly adventure days will take camp groups to walkable destinations in Golden Gate Park.
The Garden Camp Director is a member of the Learning and Engagement Department, reporting to the Director of Learning and Engagement, and working closely with the Youth Education Programs team. The Garden Camp Director will be the lead staff member in implementing Garden Camp and will supervise a team of 12 dedicated camp staff.
The Garden Camp Director’s primary objectives are to; provide an engaging, fun, educational, and safe camp experience for the participating campers; provide excellent customer service to parents and caregivers; to lead and support a team of camp staff; and to inform the program development of Garden Camp in seasons to come. The Garden is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion; experience working across cultures is an asset.
- Hire, train, supervise, and provide staff development to a seasonal team of 12 camp staff including Content Leads (Art, Ecology, Wellness, and Gardening), Group Leads, and Group Assistants.
- Plan, schedule and execute staff training, May 28-31 and June 3-4.
- Conduct daily staff meetings to discuss issues and plan and evaluate curriculum.
- Develop camp-specific emergency and risk management procedures, as informed by the Garden’s emergency response plan.
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the physical and emotional safety of all campers and staff.
- Communicate with participant families to foster a warm camp community, and ensure a positive, open dialogue about health, safety, and other issues as they arise.
- Collaborate across departments and agencies to ensure both the Garden and Garden Campers thrive.
Planning and General Oversight
- Develop curricular framework that support camp themes, align with budget, and advance the mission of the Garden.
- Order and organize program supplies and equipment.
- Maintain the Garden Camp budget.
- Actively oversee all aspects of the camp each day, serving as the face of the camp to caregivers and convey enthusiasm and love of camp to campers.
- Communicate with parents and caregivers in a timely manner about any issues related to child’s safety, behavior, or needs.
- Promote character development and model positive and inclusive culture.
- Undergraduate degree in education or related field. Coursework in environmental education desired.
- At least 3 years of experiencing directing a camp program, including managing paid staff, and at least 5 years total of summer camp work experience.
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds, ability to run short distances and walk extensively, transition from sit to stand easily, and sit on the ground with campers.
- Demonstrate a passion and respect for the natural world. Be willing to get dirty, jump into a teaching role, and engage deeply.
- Experience with camp management software or databases is desired.
- Commitment to full-time (plus over-time) work late April through August 30, 2019.
- No Phone calls please.