coLABS Business Development Lead
- Experience Level
- Title: coLABS Business Development Lead
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
- Reports to: coLABS Portfolio Manager
- Start Date: March / April 2019 (flexible)
Gray Matters Capital (GMC) is an operating foundation that actively invests in sustainable, replicable business models that benefit underserved populations in developing countries. GMC believes that the best investment strategy is to bet on entrepreneurs and market-based solutions. Its vision is to create an empowered and purposeful life for 100 million women globally. To accelerate towards its vision, GMC launched coLABS to invest in early-stage, innovative, and scalable businesses that transform the lives of women by amplifying their voice and choice. The current portfolio spans 6 countries and several different sectors that include healthcare and financial livelihood. We will be building a $5 million portfolio over the next three years.
This role is responsible for partnership outreach, business development, marketing and promotion, and assisting with entrepreneur support for the coLABS portfolio. You will oversee the development and execution of the pipeline sourcing strategy and the building of the coLABS global network. You are able to identify and develop strategic partnerships that will enable GMC to find promising new investments and enter new markets. You will raise the profile of coLABS globally. You are both pragmatic and customer-focused.
Partnership Development and Networking
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders (investors, referral partners, accelerators, etc.) to ensure ongoing, mutual benefit.
- Develop a focused networking plan to expand coLABS’ interests into new markets and existing markets.
- Develop a global brand strategy with support from GMC’s Communications Manager.
- Support coLABS and its portfolio companies through strategic networking, introductions, and targeted outreach.
- Provide feedback to Portfolio Manager related to discussions with the broader impact community on coLABS strategy, value proposition, and market research.
- Attend 3 – 4 relevant industry events and/or conferences annually to build new relationships, explore new opportunities, and promote coLABS.
Business Development and Promotion
- Work with coLABS Portfolio Manager to develop a pipeline development strategy.
- Execute pipeline development strategy that will increase the number of qualified applicants, and ultimately lead to investments.
- Identify and evaluate new markets and sectors of interest.
- Analyze industry trends and existing databases to determine strategic investment opportunities and markets for coLABS.
- Recruit promising entrepreneurs directly and indirectly (through partnerships) to apply for coLABS funding opportunity; drive traffic to stage 1 of the application process.
- Evaluate applicants to invite the most promising enterprises to progress to stage 2 of the application process (full proposal).
- Educate applicants on the coLABS process and manage their expectations.
- Develop and manage relationships with consultants and partners on the ground, as needed, to support pipeline development and marketing.
- Maintain pipeline database of active and past coLABS applicants for investment, managing the process from recruitment to due diligence to investment decision day.
- Support coLABS teammates with review and due diligence on promising finalist applicants before the investment committee meetings.
- Support the articulation and communication of lessons learned and impact captured, collaborating with GMC colleagues and consultants as needed.
- Support enterprises and entrepreneurs with promotional opportunities and strategic introductions by leveraging coLABS global network.
- Support operational excellence and promote processes within coLABS that support communication, best practices, and partnership development across GMC teams.
PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- You are aligned with our mission and want to change the world. You are energized by working on hard problems and hold a strong set of values about building impactful companies. You have a sincere desire and a strong drive to work to improve the lives of women and girls.
- You are passionate about entrepreneurs. You love working with, supporting, and learning from a diverse group of social entrepreneurs.
- You are independently motivated. You are comfortable with ambiguity—a key aspect of working with early-stage companies—and with working on your own in a small team setting. You are able to create your own structure.
- You are curious. You enjoy learning, teaching yourself about a wide variety of subjects, and you are comfortable in many different international and industry contexts. Feedback is educational.
- You have a good sense of humor. While we take our work very seriously, we don’t always have to take ourselves seriously. This work is more fun if you make it fun.
- You are an excellent communicator. You possess strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills. You’re comfortable presenting to audiences of start-up entrepreneurs and concisely supporting your point of view.
- You are detail-oriented and professional. You can easily manage deadlines, prioritize your time, and take your own professional credibility seriously.
- You are proactive. You have no problem taking the initiative. You’re self-directed and organized and can manage multiple projects at one time.
- You have strong business acumen. You’re able to gather analysis and insights to determine if businesses are a fit for coLABS. You have exposure to different social issues and business models; you are comfortable vetting a breadth of solutions.
- You create trusting relationships easily. You are persuasive, diplomatic, and work joyfully with a variety of people.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 3 - 5 years of professional experience in deal sourcing, business development, strategy development, and implementation, or other relevant areas
- Demonstrated interest in social entrepreneurship and impact investing
- Passionate about gender lens investing and/or gender issues
- Ability and eagerness to travel
- Flexibility to take early morning or evening international calls
Gray Matters Capital maintains a Total Rewards Philosophy that includes:
- Base Salary
- Bonus Potential based on KRAs included in a Performance Plan and annual appraisal process.
- Individual Professional Development Budget
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
More searches like this
- Customer Service / Retail Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Development / Fundraising Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Human Resources / Recruiting Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Marketing / Communications Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Program / Project Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta