- Experience Level
About: Black Mamas Matter Alliance (BMMA) is a Black women-led cross-sectoral alliance. We center Black mamas to advocate, drive research, build power, and shift culture for Black maternal health, rights, and justice. We envision a world where Black mamas have the rights, respect, and resources to thrive before, during, and after pregnancy.
Our work is grounded in the human rights, reproductive justice, and birth justice frameworks, and incorporates respectful maternity care tenets. The Black Mamas Matter Alliance serves as a national voice and coordinating entity for stakeholders advancing maternal health, rights, and justice. BMMA provides technical assistance, trainings, and capacity building for grassroots organizations, maternity care service providers, academia, policy, and the public health industry. We foster connections and collaborations between mainstream entities and Black women-led initiatives.
We intentionally center Black women’s leadership. The Black Mamas Matter Alliance helps to increase the visibility of Black women leaders; cultivate a deep bench of Black women leaders recognized for their expertise, contribution, and work; and support more effective collaboration of stakeholders working to advance Black maternal health.
Black Mamas Matter Alliance is seeking a part-time Development Consultant. BMMA is a small but rapidly growing enterprise. The Development Consultant will work closely with BMMA Staff to establish and implement a coordinated fundraising and communications strategy. This position is vital to the evolution and sustainability of the Alliance. As such, we seek an experienced, strategic, and creative development professional with proven success at raising funds for justice-oriented organizations.
● Craft a comprehensive and modern development, fundraising, and marketing strategy
● Identify and cultivate new opportunities for fund development
● Develop fundraising content for use in digital marketing and communications
● Manage editorial calendar of fundraising-related digital communications
● Provide management and oversight of proposal and report writing
● Institutionalize development systems including donor database
● Design fundraising events and initiatives and provide oversight of their implementation
● Guide BMMA Staff in implementing fundraising strategy and in donor engagement
● Liaise with BMMA Advisory Committee and membership as needed
● Commitment to BMMA’s mission, vision, and values
● Strong familiarity with Black feminist, human rights, reproductive justice, and/or maternal and infant health content
● A Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
● Five (5) or more years of experience in development and fundraising
● Proven ability to cultivate new resources for a growing organization
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office, donor databases, and development software
● Ability to meet deadlines and respond quickly
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● High attention to detail
● Strong sense of professionalism and reliability
● Self-starter with proven ability to work independently
The hourly rate will be negotiated based on qualifications, experience, and skill-level.
Application Submission Guidelines
Interested candidates should send a one-page cover letter describing their interest in the position, a summary of their skills, and hourly or daily rate; two (2) professional references with phone and email contact information; and a resume of relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 1st, 2019. Please submit all materials as a single PDF document and include in the e-mail subject line: Interest – Development Consultant.