High School Summer Engineering & Film Teachers
- Experience Level
Odyssey is an educational non-profit organization partnering with the Atlanta Public Schools to serve students in grades 1-12 from economically disadvantaged communities. Odyssey’s academic enrichment program focuses on students with unmet potential, preparing them for high school graduation and supporting them on their path to college. Odyssey High School is a 5-week program held on the campus of The Westminster Schools. The 380 + students selected to attend Odyssey are enrolled at schools in the Atlanta Public School system and will be in grades 1 through 12 in the school year following the Odyssey summer. All expenses to attend Odyssey – from transportation to and from The Westminster Schools, to school supplies, to snacks and lunch – are provided through the generosity of our donors and supporters. Odyssey strives to create an engaging educational environment that gives students the ability to excel in the upcoming school year and beyond, and to find value and excitement in classroom learning.
Teachers are required to:
- Believe deeply in the mission, beliefs, and values
- Hold high expectations for each student
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism with fellow teachers, students, colleagues, administration, support staff and guests at all times. This includes using appropriate language, tone, physical contact, and content.
- Plan, structure, and execute daily lessons that are engaging, hands-on, challenge our Odyssey students every day and are aligned with the Common Core standards. Actively participate and engage students on field trips.
- Implement the school‐wide student management policies within classrooms, as well as on and off campus
- Compile, analyze, display and use data on student progress and achievement to target and differentiate instruction
- Celebrate student work on a regular basis, using bulletin boards as well as other methods
- Share lesson materials and participate in observation/feedback sessions with team leaders, department chairs, instructional staff, assistant principals and school leader
- Work as an active member of the grade‐level, thematic curriculum area, and school‐wide team, doing whatever it takes to ensure our students’ needs are met
- Create, foster and model a positive and collaborative learning environment
- Perform clerical duties required with textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
- Invest in parents as true partners in ensuring our students achieve their audacious goals and full potential.
- Zest, grit, self‐control, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, curiosity and a sense of humor.
- A passion for being part of a team‐oriented, mission‐driven culture.
- A strong desire to become a better teacher by joining the Odyssey team and family.
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under‐served students.
- Experience/strength in the content area.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
· Minimum of 2 years of teaching experience
- Georgia State teacher certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits: This is a 5-week contract, exempt position. Salaries are highly competitive with local summer enrichment programs.
As an equal opportunity employer, Odyssey does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or any other basis made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws or regulations.