Resilience in School Environment (RISE) Program Manager, Bay Area
- Experience Level
For more than a decade, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation has worked to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits, by ensuring the environments that surround them provide and promote good health. The Alliance, founded by the American Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, operates as an independent 501c3 non-profit organization guided by its own Board of Directors. As one of the nation’s largest children’s health organizations focusing on combating childhood obesity, the Alliance utilizes the best available scientific evidence of programs, policies and practices that positively impact healthy eating and physical activity behaviors among youth. The Alliance’s current work directly impacts more than 25 million children, with a focus on low-income and minority populations who are at increased risk for poor health, obesity and other diseases. To learn more and join the movement, visit www.HealthierGeneration.org.
It is the goal of the Alliance to fill employment vacancies with the most qualified applicants, whether recruiting internally or externally. Strong consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates. All internal and external candidates must comply with application requirements.
Required Location: Bay Area
The (Resilience in School Environment) RISE Program Manager, Healthy Schools and Communities Program is responsible for overall management and implementation of the RISE Initiative in a specific state or region. The RISE Initiative will activate schools to increase student and staff resilience through implementation of policy, system, and environmental improvements that reshape school disciplinary practices. These practices will foster strong, positive relationships between students and caring adults, promote the importance of a healthy, safe, and caring school environment, build student and staff resilience skills through state-of-the-art learning experiences, and link students and staff to needed mental health services.
Responsibilities will include delivery of direct technical assistance to schools and coordination of technical assistance needs with national Healthier Generation staff. The Program Manager will develop, cultivate and manage key relationships within target schools, district and regions. S/he will be accountable for the engagement of schools and districts and to provide hands-on guidance and support to key school leaders to coordinate the implementation of the RISE Initiative. This position will engage stakeholders that result in Healthier Generation visibility and promotion within assigned region, and should be identified as a leader in their region demonstrating the capacity to support an organization-led, community-wide intervention. The Program Manager should have a genuine interest and commitment to making kids’ lifestyle healthier.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand the school health environment and identify the needs related to resilience and social emotional health in the districts and schools. Recruit districts and schools into the Healthy Schools Program, based on annual goals
- Implement and manage the onsite delivery of the RISE Initiative within an assigned region, which includes supporting districts and schools in completing annual deliverables
- Deliver workshops, technical assistance and virtual support to all enrolled schools and districts to facilitate the implementation of the RISE Initiative.
- Work with Healthier Generation team members to yield resources that support the implementation of the RISE Initiative
- Cultivate and develop key relationships within assigned region to promote the RISE Initiative and ensure effective collaboration and brokering of funder, national and state resources
- Establish relationships with regional agencies and organizations to increase the resources supporting the implementation of the RISE Initiative in schools and districts
- Promote the RISE Initiative within the specific state or region to key school and social emotional health stakeholders through summits, trainings and publications
- Report the program progress and results through formal and informal reporting procedures
- Promote district and school successes through national recognition, success stories and other communication strategies
- Support the development of the RISE programmatic strategies to achieve organizational and funder goals and objectives
- Perform other duties deemed necessary by the RISE Initiative leadership team and funder
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to absorb new information rapidly
- Ability to assess and identify significant opportunities and potential problems in schools and develop feasible solutions
- Ability to manage and analyze multiple data sets to inform strategy and communicate data to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Ability to manage multiple projects and act as a forward planner and strategic thinker while remaining focused on key priorities
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including in-person, over the telephone, written and virtual
- Demonstrate sensitivity, diplomacy and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated a high degree of professionalism, creativity and integrity
- Demonstrates an ability to learn and navigate Healthier Generation website and tools, Microsoft Office Suite and other technology deemed necessary for the position
- Knowledge of the school environment and/or successful management and implementation of program in schools
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Required frequent travel by car or plane up to 30% or more, primarily in the defined territory, with occasional overnight travel.
- Ability to lift and carry 25-30 pounds
- Required to have a valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and ability to operate a motor vehicle.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree is required in a related field or equivalent education and experience in social work, psychology, counseling, education or a related public health field preferred
- At least three years’ experience in project management relating to school or public health programs
- Experience in developing and managing relationships with diverse groups/environments and individuals.
- Background in education or working with educators
- Experience gathering, tracking, and analyzing multiple data sets for strategic planning purposes
- Experience with customer relationship management software, marketing automation software, and/or learning management software preferred
This job description is subject to change at any time.
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.