Student Development Specialist
- Experience Level
KeyPoint Alliance, Inc. (www.1kpa.org)
Title of Position: Student Development Specialist
Department: TRIO Talent Search
Reports To: Program Director
Working Conditions: Professional office environment with frequent local travel to work sites; work requires some evening and weekends
Salary Range: 32,000-35,500 (pay will be commensurate with qualifications, and experience)
Number of Position: 1 full-time benefits eligible position
General Function (Description):
Talent Search (TS) is a federal TRiO Program. The goal of the program is to increase the number of low-income, potential first-generation college bound students to stay in and graduate from high school, as well as enroll in and eventually graduate college. The Student Development Specialist (SDS) is responsible for recruiting and providing pre-college services to approximate 275-300 participants in grades 6th-12th in target schools in metro Atlanta. The SDS is also responsible for assisting with the implementation of the mentoring and tutoring components of the Talent Search program. Employment is based on a provisional basis and may be extended, contingent upon future funding and/or work performance. Federal regulations requires preference be given to qualified candidates with a background similar to that of program participants. Some evening and weekends work is required.
- Effectively recruit and maintain a caseload of 250-300 eligible participants. Provide weekly contacts in the form of individual and group academic counseling and advising sessions, personal coaching, as well as academic instruction and training as it pertains to career exploration/guidance, teaching scholastic skills development, life skills support, cultural and social activities; college visits; assistance with college entrance and financial aid applications as well as preparation for college entrance examinations, etc.
- Assist with the program coordination and delivery of target schools' services/sites, parent workshops, correspondences, general communication (telephone and email contacts), newsletters, and field trips, etc. in an effort to ensure the majority of program participants stay abreast of the TS services, as well as stay in school and remain in the program until graduation from high school.
- Monitors participant progress throughout high school, implement test prep courses, financial aid seminars etc. and assist participants with admissions and financial aid applications and work with college admission and financial aid officers so that majority of graduating seniors enroll in college.
- Recruits program participants meeting federal standards and informs the community about the TRIO Talent Search Program.
- Ensure proper documentation is in each students’ file to satisfy eligibility criteria, and adequate records are on file to substantiate the rending of required services, and demonstrate students specifically, and the program in general is achieving its funded objectives.
- Performs public speaking activities such as conducting workshops on time management, goal setting, career exploration, financial aid, college exploration, life skills and other topics appropriate for pre-college students.
- Assists with the development and implementation of a tutoring and mentoring program for targeted program participants to ensure students' promotion to the next grade and/or college acceptance.
- Assists with the supervision of tutoring staff in the target areas and after school teachers; serve as the secondary contact with the target schools.
- Assists with developing a strong network between the TS project, the community, target school officials, etc.
- Expands program parameters to students who are endeavoring to re-enter high school or college.
- Assists with the preparation of the U.S. Department of Education's APR (Annual Performance Report) and helps to ensure progress toward meeting program objectives. Assist with summative and formative evaluations to measure student achievement.
- Assists with the development and implementation of age and grade level appropriate curriculum for middle school through high school components.
- Inputs, updates and maintains student information by entering it into Blumen database on a daily and weekly basis; submits monthly reports that document and account for services rendered to participants.
- Responsible for securing and maintaining organized, updated, accurate student files and administrative records(digital and hard copies).
- Helps seniors and parents with financial aid and admissions applications and educates all participants regarding the availability of financial aid, the types of financial aid, the process of getting financial aid and other financial literacy information.
- Provides academic guidance and personal coaching to program participants and parents.
- Assist with the monitoring of tutors, student assistants, interns, volunteers.
- Follow the policies, procedures and protocols of KeyPoint Alliance, Inc. as well as exercise appropriate discretion and sound judgment while working with minors, parents and the general public at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate efficient organizational and time management skills.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills.
- Possess discretion, sound judgment, and solid decision making skills.
- Be highly capable of following instructions and directives, as well as be conscientious and detailed oriented.
- Be able to effectively recruit and retain program participants.
- Be comfortable dressing in professional business attire.
- Be informed about and able to integrate appropriate technologies into the program and services.
- Have at least two (2) years of experience (paid or non-paid) working in an educational and/or nonprofit community program that impacts the educationally disadvantaged/nontraditional student populations.
- Possess applicable knowledge of university procedures regarding admissions and financial aid.
- Demonstrate knowledge of persistence and graduation strategies.
- Be computer literate including Microsoft office and database management (Blumen knowledge preferred, but not required).
- Have knowledge of current academic counseling strategies to facilitate achievement.
- Be familiar with Georgia's high school curriculum and graduation requirements.
- Be sensitive to the needs of diverse and disadvantaged populations (having a background similar to participants is preferred)
- Prepare and present engaging, age appropriate, and interactive presentations to keep youth interested in the UB program.
- Possess good presentation skills and be able to speak confidently in front of large groups.
- Be able to communicate on the go and have the ability to make frequent visits to school sites to promote the TS program and render services to various partnering schools in the Metropolitan Atlanta area.
- Possess the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of information.
- Be adaptable and flexible with regard to frequent changes in work schedule.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
Education: Minimum of bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline i.e. Education, Social Work, Human Services, Psychology, Sociology, or related field is required.
Years of Experience:
At least 2 years of experience (paid or non paid) working with disadvantaged student populations in an educational or community setting. Demonstrated work experience with at risk teens is a plus. Possess knowledge of university procedures regarding admissions and financial aid. Demonstrated knowledge of persistence and graduation strategies. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
Please note: Once provisional employment is complete, benefits eligible include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Eye Insurance
- 401K with company match
- Sick and Vacation Leave
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Professional Development Opportunities (local and national)
- And more!
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Interested applicants must submit the four (4) items below:
- Complete the entire application for this position (including salary information).
- Provide a cover letter expressing interest in the position.
- Attach or include a resume detailing experience
- Provide the names and telephone numbers of three (3) professional references. At least two (2) of the three (3) professional references must be supervisors.
Please note: a criminal background check and drug screening is required. Please, NO phone calls regarding this position.
If you desire more than the advertised salary range, your application Will NOT be considered. Also, please complete the entire application. Incomplete applications Will NOT be reviewed.