- Experience Level
UsAgainstAlzheimer's (UsA2) seeks a Development Manager to help strengthen its operational foundation as a leading global voice in the fight to stop Alzheimer’s. The Development Manager will be responsible for cultivating individual donors who desire to end Alzheimer’s. UsA2 is an entrepreneurial, collaborative, creative and flexible organization, and the Development Manager will join a strong team fighting to find a cure for this devastating disease.
UsA2 is an innovative non-profit organization demanding – and delivering – a solution to Alzheimer’s. Driven by the suffering of millions of families, UsA2’s presses for greater urgency from government, industry and the scientific community in the quest for an Alzheimer's cure – accomplishing this through effective leadership, collaborative advocacy, and strategic investments.
- UsA2 embraces urgency, creativity, inclusiveness, and flexibility as we pursue our goals to:
- Increase federal Alzheimer’s research funding
- Increase the speed, efficiency and diversity of Alzheimer’s clinical trials
- Boost attention to brain health and early detection
- Include insights and preferences of patients and caregivers in drug development
- Advance national Alzheimer’s care goals and policies
- Mobilize Americans to demand a cure
The organization engages those most affected by the disease – and best positioned to fight it – through seven networks, including its newest network, VeteransAgainstAlzheimer’s. UsA2/A has a unique operating model, in which some board members also hold operating roles with the enterprise, so, in addition to their Board roles, they lead key programs and initiatives. It was founded in 2010 by George and Trish Vradenburg. They knew they could bring more urgency and momentum to the fight to end Alzheimer’s, which had earlier claimed Trish’s mother. The organization has grown to a nearly $8 million operation with diverse revenues streams (including corporate, government, individual and family foundation support), active advocacy programs, robust digital outreach/engagement, events in various cities throughout the year, a 13-member Board of Directors and a staff of approximately 25 (a combination of full- and part-time staff). For more information, see usagainstalzheimers.org.
The Position and Key Responsibilities
The Development Manager will report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and the Strategic Advisor on Individual Giving. As a key member of the Development team, the manger will be responsible for cultivating, soliciting and stewarding of individual donors with special focus on mid- to low-level donors (below $2500). Additional responsibilities include:
- Actively advance the organizational giving strategy and activity plan for individual giving by finding and engaging with new donors who desire to find a cure for Alzheimer’s.
- Support the Director of Development Events in her work with higher level donors, making sure that information is properly shared and distributed, and providing research and background information on those donors.
- Handle the administrative development details such as scheduling meetings, data entry, sending cultivation letters out on time, and following up on proposals. Assist with operations work as needed.
- Develop a portfolio of mid- and low-level donors by working collaboratively with staff and volunteers to regularly identify new donor prospects. Facilitate meetings between potential donors and UsA2 staff and board members, allowing them to engage donors through personal interaction and more formal presentations.
- Ensure clear and consistent communication with donors: acknowledgment of donations, prompt follow-up, and appropriate donor recognition.
- Create and manage a robust schedule of development events with assistance of staff as a means of engaging new and existing donors.
- Provide follow-up research to support the Director of Development Events, including donor retention rates and progress against fundraising goals.
- Manage the Development Associate in their day to day work.
Experience and Attributes
Ideal candidates for this position will be deeply committed to UsA2’s mission of bringing greater urgency to the fight against Alzheimer’s, and capable of developing a portfolio of mid- to low- level individual donors. UsA2 is entrepreneurial, collaborative, creative, flexible, and opportunistic, and the Development Manager should possess these qualities, as well, in addition to:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in fundraising or a closely related field, such as marketing.
- Be personable, presentable, professional and comfortable asking for money.
- Familiarity with a donor database (UsA2 is currently in the process of changing from eTapestry to EveryAction).
- Quantifiable experience in cultivating and maintaining relationships with individual donors. Demonstrated success in making cold calls and developing solicitation strategies.
- Self-motivated, flexible, able to work independently, and having an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Able to travel to cultivation events in other cities a few times each year.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Able to manage the Development Associate and interns.
- Able to set ambitious goals and execute on strategies to reach those goals.
- Willing to schedule meetings and handle administrative tasks for the CDO, Strategic Advisor, and board members who work with donors;
Salary is competitive with excellent benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements to UsA2-DevtMgr@marcumllp.com. For more information, contact Ginna Goodenow-Schirf at Ginna.Goodenow@marcumllp.com.
UsA2 is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
Resume reviews begin immediately, with the ideal start date in April 2019.
About Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit and Social Sector Group
On behalf of UsA2, Raffa – Marcum’s Nonprofit and Social Sector Group is working with the leadership team to advance the work and lead the COO search. Founded in 1984 and recently merged with Marcum, Raffa is, and always has been, a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious companies. We exist to do meaningful work for organizations like UsA2 who are making a difference in our communities and our world. Learn more about our work at http://www.marcumllp.com/industries/nonprofit-social-sector/.