Housing Intake Specialist
- Position Type
- Full Time
Program and Position Overview
Hamilton Families (HF) is dedicated to ending family homelessness in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Housing Solutions program assists families to secure permanent housing through housing search assistance, move-in financial assistance, eviction prevention, medium-term rent subsidies, and home-based case management to help families move toward self-sufficiency.
The Housing Intake Specialist is responsible for receiving program referrals, logging them into the database and reaching out to referred participants within 48 hours. The Housing Intake Specialist conducts eligibility interviews and participant assessments. In collaboration with a program manager, the Housing Intake Specialist will determine participants’ acceptance into the program and will set rental limits. The Housing Intake Specialist will ensure that files are set-up accurately with all required documentation. The Intake Specialist will participate in transfer of care and exit planning meetings, as well as the outreach committee, and other committee and special projects as assigned.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide intake, assessment, counseling information and referral to 3 to 6 families per week. Provide in-office meetings, housing/tenant counseling, housing connection and community resource referrals for participants and occasional unit viewings. Case management services may include but are not limited to intake, assessment, development and implementation of service plans, referrals to community-based resources, housing and employment advocacy, designing and facilitating participant group workshops, advocacy and support for issues relating to mental and physical health and disabilities, domestic violence, substance abuse recovery, family reunification, child welfare advocacy, life skills training, and crisis intervention.
• Assess participants for strengths and barriers, including employment, behavioral health, criminal history, and substance use, and refer households to appropriate levels of housing and rental assistance. Ensure resources are used by eligible households who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
• Assist families and individuals to establish and meet housing goals and identify appropriate steps towards achieving goals, including modifying goals as needed, and evaluation of progress. Coordinate and collaborate effectively with other service providers as needed to assist participants to reach their goals.
• Maintain precise and accurate documentation of case management services, including participant files and entries into participant databases.
• Educate participants about budgeting and financial management practices, including support with taxes and local/federal Earned Income Tax Credit, banking and credit repair.
• Coordinate with housing resources team to maintain positive relationships with landlords and property management companies serving low income families. Represent and promote Housing Solutions network of housing, rental assistance, and eviction prevention services throughout the community. Represent Hamilton Families in community and collaborative meetings as needed.
• Promote values of self-sufficiency and empowerment throughout work with participants. Aid in the development of resource materials specific to neighborhoods/cities/counties where the families reside.
• Participate in planning and coordination of fun yearly events for families, including a Holiday Party and Back to School Picnic.
• Participate in various program meetings including case conference meetings and housing plan meetings in collaboration with other service providers.
• Maintain participant confidentiality and HIPAA requirements; maintain program standard of documentation of case management services; keep accurate records, files, correspondence, and statistics. Prepare reports and presentations as required. Reinforce and follow appropriate boundaries with participants.
• Work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for Housing Solutions programmatic activities.
• Bilingual Intake Specialist positions require providing all services described above to a caseload of participants who are predominantly monolingual in the language for which the bilingual premium applies; sharing verbal and written program and other information as needed; translating verbal and written materials, community meetings, workshops, events, and other information verbally and/or in writing as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, or related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of experience providing support services to families and/or individuals in a human services setting, including one year experience providing case management OR a minimum of 5 years of experience performing case management duties in a health or human services field. Able and willing to work with diverse staff and participants.
• Experience working with extremely low income families, youth, survivors of domestic violence, populations impacted by substance abuse, mental illness, and HIV/AIDS and other diverse communities; documenting participant services in paper files and online databases; and conducting outreach and presentations.
• Familiarity with and commitment to principles and practices of housing first, participant-centered care, harm reduction, and safeguarding participant confidentiality.
• Knowledge of community resources for families with very low incomes in the Bay Area, and knowledge and experience with housing laws a plus.
• Excellent organizational skills and able to self-motivate; able to work under pressure, address multiple priorities and meet deadlines with a positive attitude and problem-solving approach.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, etc.). Experience using Salesforce.com databases a plus;
• Bilingual positions require verbal and written proficiency in English as well as the second language for which the bilingual premium applies, as demonstrated through agency-administered proficiency testing.
• Essential functions of the position may require use of a telephone, working at a standard computer terminal, and the ability to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations, sit for long periods, stand, reach, bend, lift, and carry up to 40 pounds, and driving.
• Criminal background check, fingerprint imaging, and tuberculosis (TB) clearance required post-offer.
• Valid CADL and DMV report; able and willing to travel locally as needed required.
Compensation and Benefits
Great benefits: We offer excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage, plus tax-advantaged Flexible Spending Arrangements for Health Care and Dependent Care. Employees also have the chance to earn up to $180 per calendar year for participating in various wellness activities and can participate in partnership discounts with various YMCA locations. Additionally, HF offers tax deductible commuter benefits that can be applied to public transit, parking, bicycle maintenance, and ride sharing services like Uber pool.
Growth and leadership opportunities: The work at HF is designed for individuals to follow their passions and commitment to community. HF takes professional development seriously and offers coaching and training opportunities at every level. A role with the Navigation team is great for an individual who is interested in exploring real estate, affordable housing, social work, and/or mental health fields. We also offer a $1,000 educational stipend to employees each year and offer dozens of internal and external trainings for staff at every level annually.
Time off: HF employees take advantage of generous sick and vacation benefits including 11 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick time per year.
Long term benefits: HF offers an employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan, education reimbursement, and other great long term benefits!
• Use the link below to submit an application via Hamilton Families' ADP Career Center.
• Please attach your résumé and a letter of interest
• No faxes or phone calls.
• Hamilton Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.