Digital Librarian and Research Specialist
- Experience Level
The Presidio Trust is seeking a Digital Librarian and Research Specialist to serve as a member of our Communications team at the Presidio of San Francisco – a 1,500 acre national park with a rich history; natural landscapes with wildlife and native plants; historic former military homes and buildings animated by 3,000 residents and 200 organizations; and some of the most iconic views of the San Francisco Bay.
As part of the Presidio Trust, an innovative federal agency created to save the Presidio of San Francisco as a national park and welcome the public, the Communications Division shares the Presidio’s story with the world and invites a broad range of visitors to discover and enjoy this unique national park. Learn more at www.presidio.gov.
Our ideal candidate has outstanding organizational, research, and writing skills. You are able to work independently toward goals and can also work collaboratively with others to plan and execute projects. You have strong interpersonal skills, are adept at supporting both internal staff members and the public with research and cataloguing needs, and can help educate other staff members about records management processes and how to use digital tools.
Applications received by March 10, 2019 will receive first consideration. Along with a writing assessment, we are planning to hold the first round of interviews beginning the week of March 18th, the second round of interviews beginning the week of March 25th, and make a job offer and set a work start date in April 2019.
- Administer WIDEN digital asset management (DAM) system (50%): Manage assets by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures regarding management and use of the system. Manage the workflows and policies concerning the uploading of media and its cataloguing with descriptive and other metadata. Review the uploading and cataloguing of asset contributors for completeness and compliance with system policies. Facilitate the development of digital asset cataloging standards and metadata models incorporating best practices and the Presidio Trust’s unique requirements.
- Provide reference services by conducting research and performing other support functions including finding, identifying, downloading, and using assets. Work with internal teams to facilitate use and support adoption.
- Provide instruction, instructional materials, and documentation for different user audiences to support efficiency in the use, search, and ingestion of assets. Provide updates as new functions are added to the system. Maintain appropriate levels of access to the system through monitoring registration and creating user roles, asset groups, and asset control lists. Maintain usage rights metadata that serves both creative and legal requirements. Perform analytics and auditing functions, collecting user feedback and reviewing data on how users interact with the system in order to evaluate the system’s effectiveness and to adjust system functionality. Serve as main point of contact with the vendor.
- Manage library administrative functions (20%): Conduct original cataloging and classification of print, audio-visual, and digital resources. Provide assistance to people, both inside and outside the Presidio Trust, in the pursuit of information relevant to the Presidio and the Presidio Trust. Act as a resource for staff on intellectual property issues with regard to reproductions for exhibits, signs, etc. Make recommendations about selection, replacement, and withdrawal of print and non-print materials from the collection. Acquire image and document reproductions and permissions.
- Research (30%): Conduct research and produce memos, reports, and analysis on a variety of topics in support of Presidio Trust activities. Create original written content to support the Presidio’s communications initiatives, including, but not limited to, the Presidio Trust’s blog, social media, and media programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in information management, library science, archive management, communications, or a related field AND at least 3 years of work experience in a closely related position.
- Proficiency with digital asset management systems, especially the WIDEN system. Experience using structured thesauri or taxonomy to catalog visual assets.
- Strong writing skills.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Passion for parks; strong desire to work for the Presidio
About the Communications Team
The Communications team provides marketing and communications strategies and services that inspire the public to visit the Presidio and empower our employees to excel in their jobs. In 2017 Sunset Magazine recognized the Presidio as “the most popular destination in the national parks network.”
The Presidio Trust has identified this position as subject to a standard employment background investigation without a credit report, which shall consist of a review of applicable county, state and Federal criminal and civil records. An individual’s granting of a background investigation and resulting report is voluntary, however, employment is contingent upon the successful completion of the investigation. The Trust may refuse to hire an individual, rescind an offer of employment, or review and terminate the employment of a current employee who does not successfully complete a background investigation.
The Presidio Trust is an equal opportunity employer, offering a competitive benefits package. To apply call (415) 561-5300 (Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5 pm) to request an application package, OR download the application from our website, www.presidio.gov, and mail the application to Employee Support Services, Presidio Trust, P.O. Box 29052, San Francisco, CA 94129-0052.