Chief Financial Officer
- Degree Level
Chief Financial Officer
MedShare is currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join the organization’s senior leadership team at a very exciting time. MedShare is a humanitarian aid organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people, communities and our planet by sourcing and directly delivering surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in need around the world. We are seeking a dynamic, experienced candidate who has a passion for our mission and an unwavering commitment to excellence.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) oversees MedShare’s National Financial Accounting Services, which includes all organization financial functions and benefits functions related to finance. Leading the organization’s Financial Accounting Operations includes responsibility for all financial systems, processes and infrastructure, internal accounting controls, and both internal and external financial reporting. The CFO is a member of the organization’s senior leadership team.
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management that mirrors the mission and core values of the organization.
- As part of Senior Leadership Team, drive the overall Financial Function of MedShare to achieve and surpass the mission’s goals and objectives.
- Establish annual strategy, budget and goals for Finance as part of the enterprise-wide annual planning process.
- Motivate and lead a high performing Finance and IT team.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within a matrix-based organization structure.
- Provide staff support for the Audit and Finance Committee of the Board, and present to the Board, as necessary.
- Monitor and assure compliance as it relates to governance and overall policies (conflict of interest, minutes, endowment, operating reserve, 401k compliance).
- Promote and cultivate the values of MedShare within the organization.
- Represent MedShare with service providers, donors and business partners where appropriate.
Accounting and Reporting Services
- Develop and maintain best-in-class finance and accounting functions across the organization including: accurate and timely processing of payables, receivables, payroll, deposits, benefits management, cash management, revenue recognition, accounting allocations, 401k match calculations, pro bono services and gifts-in-kind, maintenance of finance related shipments data base, endowment funds records, specific accounting records and analyses and monthly closing of the accounting system.
- Create, oversee and maintain excellent internal accounting controls and quality control processes within the entire organization safeguarding the organization’s assets; write relevant policies and procedures.
- Work collaboratively with operations leadership to develop and implement national services that support each geographic market while also maintaining the required standardization across the enterprise especially related to inventory valuation and management, compliance with AERDO and other accounting standards as they relate to Gifts-in-Kind.
- Work closely with the Development Directors to forecast funds raised and revenues.
- Maintain and continue to develop an accounting system which generates reports for multiple purposes.
- Prepare timely and accurate reporting for both internal and external purposes, including Board metrics and financial statements, audit reports, 990 return, state filings, 401k plan reporting, grant reports, and USAID annual report.
- Manage day-to-day cash flow coordinating funds transfers to maximize interest earnings and supporting daily cash requirements of the organization.
- Measure and evaluate the effectiveness of all financial processes.
- Work closely with insurance broker for all business insurance.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, and maintain accountability standards for financial management.
- Drive a fluid and creative budget process that results in detailed monthly budgets by department and region for funds raised, revenues and expenses which supports the organization goals and objectives.
- Work closely with the Development Directors to project funds raised and revenues for the budget.
- Work closely with department managers in expense budget preparation.
- Prepare certain detailed budget analyses, assist with closing the gap between revenues and expenses, and prepare summary schedules for presentations.
- Oversee benefits, 401k coordination and administration, and related employee benefits.
- Maintain original documents for the entire organization.
- Review contracts and agreements with business partners for financial implications.
- Ensure new Operations Centers have access to and adopt MedShare’s finance protocols, processes and systems.
- Assist with business requirements (state, local laws, insurance coverage) with opening new Operations Centers.
- Expert financial and accounting experience, ideally with 2-3 years auditing experience in a medium or large public accounting firm, and with 10+ years as a financial manager with progressive experience leading to at least 3-5 years experience as a top financial executive. Strong preference for experience in the non-profit arena.
- CPA with Bachelor’s degree in accounting; master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent technical accounting skills, solid understanding of temporarily restricted assets (non-profit accounting), endowment funds, and inventory.
- Ability to maintain both a detailed orientation and a “big picture” orientation toward financial matters, with an ability to take the initiative, prioritize issues, manage time in a position requiring multi-tasking.
- Ability to recognize accounting and financial implications of operations decisions/processes and of fundraising decisions/processes and to formulate and implement procedures and processes to properly account for them.
- Experience making Board presentations, leading Board Committee meetings, and coordinating with service providers (401k, investment advisors, business insurance).
- Demonstrated experience with budgeting, including working with detailed models, collaboration with revenue and funds raised budget and expense budgets, assisting with “closing the gap”, and consolidating and summarizing for presentations.
- Demonstrated success developing and monitoring systems to manage a financial function that involves high levels of collaboration.
- Excellent people skills with the ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to the mission of MedShare.
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for multitasking; able to work in an entrepreneurial, fast moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Experience and/or demonstrated capability to work in a matrix-based organization structure.
- Extremely high attention to detail, very organized, ability to learn quickly.
- Strong competency in QuickBooks (with classes), Microsoft Excel, Word.
Compensation: MedShare offers a competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience, an attractive benefits package, including full healthcare, dental, and vision, 401(k), and paid leave.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Chief Financial Officer” in the subject line.
MedShare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.