EnviroVentures Summer Camp Counselor
Camp Counselors are responsible for supervising, motivating, and acting as role models for all participants in the EnviroVentures Summer Camp program. Camp Counselors share their enthusiasm for science and nature while exploring Piedmont Park. Our summer camp is full of outdoor activities and adventures that need camp counselors with positive attitudes to guide their campers through a summer full of fun!
2019 Summer Camp dates are May 28-August 2.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise assigned groups of campers at all times
- Counselors will be paired up into 5 groups with a ratio of 2 counselors to every 20 kids or less.
- Manage assigned weekly activities focusing on environmental education, sports and recreation, and arts and crafts throughout each week.
- Assist campers with their personal belongings and manage appropriate group space in the camp “Big Room.”
- Supervise all bathroom visits and changing areas
- Complete written reports of camper behavior and incidents as needed
- Monitor daily attendance, group roster, camper medication needs, and any changes
- Build and maintain good morale in all camp groups through positive words and positive leadership
- Serve as leader at the pool; counselors will participate during swim time, and monitor beginning swimmers, but not act as lifeguards.
- Facilitate proper group behavior in all aspects of camp
- Maintain a positive attitude toward campers, fellow staff, supervisors, and the camp program
- Model promptness, manners, language, appearance and health for camp participants and parents
- Model respect and care for the environment and the grounds of Piedmont Park
- Demonstrate a love for nature and science and an enthusiasm for sharing it with camp staff and campers
- Performs other related duties as required
- No staff supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- At least 18 years of age
- Experience working with children in an educational setting
- Experience working with a team of staff in a busy setting
- Experience or training significant for camp programming
OTHER SKILLS, EXPERIENCE OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good judgment and leadership skills
- Ability to adapt to changing needs and circumstances
- Ability to work outdoors all day in hot, humid conditions
- Ability to walk up to 4 miles a day and lift up to 50lbs
EFFECT ON END RESULT
- Camp programs will operate smoothly and be carried out successfully. Participants will enjoy a safe, educational, and rewarding experience.
Please email your resume and cover letter to:
Director of Programs
Piedmont Park Conservancy