Registered Nurse Educator Consultant
Statement of Purpose
PHI is seeking an RN Educator Consultant to teach a range of specialty caregiving curricula to home health aides, certified nursing assistants, and their supervisors in the greater New York City area. The Consultant will contribute to curricula design and instruct staff at nursing homes, assisted living communities, and home care agencies on topics including condition-specific chronic disease management, coaching communication, teamwork, and leadership development. Preference will be given to consultants who can teach in both English and Spanish. Per diem availability for this position is needed over a one-year period, through March 31, 2020 at minimum.
PHI (formerly the Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to ensure quality care for older adults and people living with disabilities by creating quality jobs for direct care workers—the home health aides, certified nursing assistants, and personal care aides providing care for millions across the U.S. We believe that caregiving relationships work best when direct care staff receive high-quality training, living wages, and respect for the central role they play in the health care system and in the lives of clients and families. PHI draws on 25 years of experience working side-by-side with direct care workers and recipients in order to offer employers, policymakers, and other key stakeholders the tools needed to ensure quality care and quality jobs.
Located at 400 E. Fordham Road in the Bronx, PHI’s headquarters offer panoramic city views in the heart of a community we serve. We are 20 minutes from Grand Central Terminal on the Metro North Railroad and accessible via subway (B/D/4 lines) and bus. On-site parking is available. PHI is committed to a workplace culture of collaboration and respect.
Tasks to be Accomplished
- Contribute to the design of and facilitate skill-building workshops for direct care workers. Depending on content, design, and audience size, this position may serve as a co-facilitator with a PHI employee.
- Contribute to the design of and facilitate train-the-trainer workshops for non-PHI educators to effectively teach PHI signature curricula using adult learner-centered teaching methods with fidelity to each curriculum as designed.
- Provide instruction and consultation to PHI clients as they learn new training methods, adopt new organizational structures, and implement systems to build a stronger workplace.
- Assist with curriculum development as needed, including client assessment/analysis and serving as a subject matter expert.
- Conduct and/or support the implementation of PHI instructional programming on communication and problem-solving, supervision, person-directed living, changes in caregiving practices consistent with person-centered care, and entry-level, specialty, and career advancement trainings for direct care workers.
- Certification as a Registered Nurse with an active license in good standing.
- Experience as a trainer/educator in health care settings, familiar with designing and delivering content in an adult-learner centered methodology.
- Excellent interpersonal/relational and team-building skills.
- Skill in communicating across difference and working with people from diverse class and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to travel throughout New York City.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Preference given to individuals who can teach in Spanish and English
- Preference given to individuals with home health care experience
- Period of Performance: From contract execution through March 3, 2020 on an as-needed per-diem basis.
- Payment: Payment will be made monthly upon receipt and approval of invoice for work completed in the prior month. Supporting documentation is required for reimbursement of approved expenses.
- Contractual Terms: This is an independent consulting role and as such worker’s compensation, disability, and unemployment benefits will not be paid by PHI. PHI will submit a report of the Consultant’s earnings to the IRS.
How to Submit a Proposal
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 15, 2019. Please indicate “RN Educator” in the subject line.
- A summary of your qualifications and recent work that is relevant to this position.
- Your required hourly or daily rate.
- An up-to-date résumé.
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of individuals who have experienced you as a trainer during the last 18 months and who can be contacted as references.