- Experience Level
Title: Asylum Attorney
Education/Qualifications: JD with 3-5 years of experience in immigration law - with a focus on asylum. Bar admission required.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Location: Atlanta, GA
The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN), is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal representation in immigration matters to asylum seekers and immigrant victims of human trafficking, domestic violence and sexual assault. We are seeking an immigration attorney to manage the daily operations of GAIN’s Asylum Program and to provide critical legal representation to asylum seekers in the State of Georgia.
This is a very unique opportunity for someone who is passionate about expanding the delivery of pro bono services while continuing to provide quality legal representation for immigrants fleeing crime and persecution.
- Provide direct legal representation and advocacy for detained and non-detained asylum seekers
- Prepare affirmative and defensive asylum cases, and appeals before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (as needed)
- Conduct client consultations, screen for immigration relief, and place eligible cases with pro bono volunteers
- Provide training, education, and outreach to law firms, corporations, and other community partners.
- Mentor and provide ongoing technical assistance to pro bono attorneys volunteering with the Asylum Program
- Assist with the expansion of GAIN’s pro bono network
- Supervise legal support staff, including: GAIN’s legal assistant and law student externs
- Collaborate with community partners and other legal services providers to coordinate and improve the delivery of services
- Work with GAIN’s Navigator and other legal and social service partners to meet the holistic needs of GAIN’s asylum clients.
- Assist (as needed) with the organization’s development-related needs, including: data collection, reporting, etc.
This position will require initiative, vision, creativity, flexibility, and a commitment to advancing the rights of immigrant communities. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of immigration law and current policies, be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, work collaboratively, communicate effectively, have the ability to work with people from a wide array of backgrounds and perspectives.
Spanish language proficiency strongly preferred; other relevant language skills will be considered.
This is an ideal position for someone who is passionate about immigrant rights and wants to effectuate change in Georgia for asylum seekers. To learn more about GAIN, please visit us at www.georgiaasylum.org
Please apply by February 16, 2019.