- Experience Level
Classification: This position is classified as part-time, 15-20 hours per week.
Task % of Time
Volunteer Management 60%
Position Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Program Locations Defined: Atlanta
Reports to: Director of Hunger Programs/ Operations Director
Position Mission: Do you enjoy working with diverse groups of people while making a difference in the lives of those in need? Action Ministries is currently seeking a dynamic individual to fill our Volunteer Coordinator position. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for supporting Volunteer events and service project needs, including recruitment, orientation, training and recognition of volunteers.
Evaluator: Director of Hunger Programs/ Operations Director
Action Ministries Mission: Action Ministries mobilizes communities to address the challenges of poverty by focusing on hunger relief, housing and education.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Environment: Foster and manage a welcoming, positive, and safe environment for all volunteers, vendors, employees, and community service workers.
- Volunteer Coordination: Provide expert recruitment, orientation, training and supervision of volunteers to support the following:
- Action Ministries food box and weekend hunger relief meal packing projects
- Smart Lunch, Smart Kid’s volunteer led lunch preparation and distribution needs during the summer feeding months
- Volunteer events, including corporate and church service events
- General warehouse operations
- Help coordinate offsite corporate and community volunteer events and projects
- Identify or implement volunteer outreach events/opportunities to optimize recruitment
- Help conduct program tours within the warehouse and at summer feeding sites
- Develop, implement, and maintain volunteer recognition events and activities
- Tracking: Help maintain tracking of volunteer and partner activities, events and donations
- Scheduling: Manage and maintain a well-populated, and accurate volunteer calendar, engaging corporate, civic, and faith based groups in volunteer opportunities.
- Relationships/Communication: Maintain professional relationships with volunteers, support staff, church partners, business partners, staff, and all stakeholders connected to Action Ministries. Maintain timely email and phone communications with partners regarding inquiries, donations, volunteer coordination, events, scheduling and availability, etc.
- Foster strong relationships with community partners, donors, and leaders in and around Atlanta. Represent Action Ministries hunger programs in the community at volunteer partner events, women’s circles, church functions, community events, volunteer fairs, etc. as needed, to support program needs.
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with Hands on Atlanta, United Way and other volunteer resources and databases that have the opportunity to lead to increased volunteer capacity and implementation.
- Financial Sustainability: Coordinate with staff to ensure corporate, civic, and faith groups have a full understanding of the scope and capacity of Action Ministries in order to develop future volunteer and revenue opportunities. Promote a financially sustainable program by ensuring that: volunteer groups are scheduled to packs meals, and volunteers and partners enjoy their experience and are made aware of ways to support Action Ministries with both financial and in-kind gifts
- Policy Implementation: Communicate and apply all Action Ministries policies regarding volunteer interactions, guest interactions, and the like, including completion of incident reporting and responding to emergency situations as directed.
Skills, Attributes, & Qualifications:
- Strong organizational skills required
- Able to work with diverse populations
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative and meeting high expectations as well as working as part of a team – can communicate well and actively support others
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects
- Excellent communication skills and ability to direct large numbers of volunteers
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to establish and maintain good working relationships with leadership, staff, supporters, targeted community groups and the public with a high degree of tact, diplomacy and discretion, with an emphasis on flexibility and professionalism
- Minimum of a High School diploma or equivalent; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is preferred with a focus on Communication or Non-Profit degrees.
- Ability and willingness to drive the organization’s vehicle, including a box truck or van, and personal vehicle as needed
- Intermediate computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
- 1-2 years of experience with volunteer, program and/or non-profit coordination
Additional Information/ Requirements
- Clearance of driving record check
- Valid driver’s license and insurance
- Drug Test
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Hours: 15-20 hrs/week, Monday through Saturday, between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.; Weekday schedule offers some flexibility but position requires weekend hours.
- Ability to work max hours during the summer months is required
- Occasional Travel (20%): Capacity to travel throughout greater Atlanta for meetings, volunteer outreach, and offsite volunteer projects on occasion
- Capacity to use pallet jack to move items weighing 20 - 200 pounds on occasion
- Capacity to carry or lift up to 50 pounds on occasion
- Capacity to drive a 26’ box truck as needed, on occasion (CDL license is not required to operate)
- Occasional lifting and bending at various heights
- Work is performed in a warehouse and office setting with occasional outdoor needs
- Able to withstand temperatures in a typical warehouse environment; Entrances may be open and work conditions during the summer months can be warm and winter months can be cool.
- Ability to operate standard warehouse equipment, including forklifts and pallet jacks a plus
Action Ministries, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.