Vice President Human Resources
- Experience Level
About Sandy Hook Promise
Sandy Hook Promise (SHP) is a non-partisan national nonprofit formed and led by several family members whose loved ones were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012. Based in Newtown, Connecticut, our intent is to honor all victims of gun violence by turning our tragedy into a moment of transformation by providing prevention programs that protect all children from gun violence.
SHP achieves this by educating and empowering parents, schools and youth organizations with research-based mental health & wellness programs that teach adults and students how to identify, intervene and help at-risk individuals BEFORE they hurt themselves or others.
Responsible for implementing and managing human resources policies and programs in the areas of recruitment, employment, employee relations, and compliance with regulations and company goals, with a lens on diversity, equity and inclusion across organization departments, systems and policies. Partner with Leadership to support and implement effective short and long-term strategies to attain organizational objectives. Combines HR mastery and industry knowledge to appropriately evaluate and resolve complex HR issues within a fast paced and changing business environment.
This position reports to a Managing Director and works closely with the CFO and management team. SHP offers a competitive salary based on experience, benefits, 401k, paid holidays and vacation. The HR Director role is ideally based in Newtown, CT.
To maintain and record the day to day human resource operations of SHP as follows:
• Guides and manages the provision of human resources services, policies, benefits and programs.
• Builds a diverse talent pipeline, including managing entire talent acquisition life cycle; job postings, interviews, reference checks, new employee paperwork, onboarding process, performance plans, terminations, and exit interviews.
• Proactively builds relationships and networks with diverse talent pipelines to assure SHP is reaching a diverse network of talented potential employees and SHP serves as an attractive place of employment to prospective and current employees.
• Chairs the organization’s DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) initiative
• Works with and interacts with all SHP departments to ensure HR systems and policies meet their needs, including departments operating in the field
• Organizes necessary and developmental staff trainings.
• Employee benefit procurement, administration and management.
• Maintains personnel files, policies, and employee handbook.
• Works with Finance to ensure accurate payroll related actions.
• Maintains knowledge of Federal, State, & Local employment legislation and ensures compliance.
• Provide guidance to ensure the integrity of the performance management program and the development of employees.
• Prepares reports for senior management as directed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in human resources, business, or organizational behavior or related field or equivalent experience Excellent management, process development and project management/organizational skills
• Demonstrated experience and proficiency in spearheading DEI strategies
• Embraces and values diversity of all kinds, does not shy away from it, is open to conversations about racism and equity, and is comfortable working cross-culturally and cross-communities
• Existing network and demonstrated success building relationships with diverse networks and building and managing a diverse talent pipeline
• Experience working nationally and managing HR policies and systems across multiple states and with employees who are remote
• 10+ years of HR experience
• Track record of success facilitating organizational change within a growing organization
• Proven success in managing payroll actions and benefit programs, including FMLA and other leave programs
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills; strategic thinker
• Strong PC skills and MS Office skills
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and make deadlines
• Ability to handle multiple tasks; results oriented
• A friendly demeanor, above average interpersonal and communication skills, and a positive attitude.
• Willing to travel to SHP locations (CT, DC, CA, FL, OH, MA, NJ)