- Experience Level
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Food and Capital Markets team works to protect forests from the impacts of agriculture, largely with a focus on influencing the largest food and beverage companies to improve the sustainability of their agricultural sourcing policies and practices. We are seeking a Manager, Deforestation to support key projects and contribute to research and development of thought leadership on land-use change and deforestation impacts of agricultural supply chains.
The Manager supports the research and programmatic work of the Food and Capital Markets team and reports to the Director of Food and Capital Markets. This role would serve as the primary technical focal point on deforestation issues, working with investors, companies, and partner organizations to accelerate adoption and implementation of no-deforestation commitments. We seek a solution oriented individual to work in close collaboration with colleagues at Ceres as well as external partners. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support the development and execution of programmatic strategy for Ceres’ commodity-based deforestation work. Develop policy positions, programmatic approaches, and technical messaging
- Partner with Development on relationship management activities for specific deforestation grants including directing ongoing collaboration efforts with NGO partners and conducting annual evaluation of programmatic work and support production of progress reports
- Manage production, release and distribution of new research and analysis on material risks from land use change and deforestation
- Develop media messaging and communications materials, including op-eds, press releases and blogs.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Coordinate with other Ceres program teams (e.g. Investor Network, Company Network, Communications, Development, Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives
- Partner with the Director in funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders, with the Ceres Development Team
- Assist in the planning of the annual Ceres Conference program and other events
- Travel to meetings and events, including international travel, as required
- Support special projects of Food and Capital Markets team, as necessary
- Graduate degree in environmental studies, environmental science, sustainability, or natural resources required OR bachelor degree plus, 5 years of working directly on international deforestation issues within a company or NGO workplace.
- Direct experience working on deforestation and land use change issues preferred. In-depth understanding of climate change and agriculture issues preferred. Technical and scientific competencies, required.
- Demonstrate knowledge of supply chain dynamics and corporate sustainable sourcing best practices through academic course work or direct work experience.
- Experience in North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills for both internal colleagues and external business audiences. Ability to translate complex, technical science into information that can be used effectively by financial decision-makers. Experience writing blogs, is a plus.
- Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion.
- Sound judgment, experience working with diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying, please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.