Chief Financial Officer
- Experience Level
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Emerge America’s mission is to increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. The vision of Emerge America (Emerge) is to change the face of power, politics, and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all.
Since it was founded in 2002, Emerge has trained more than 4,000 Democratic women to run for office. The organization’s selective six-month training program operates in 25 states across the country and teaches participants real-world political skills like public speaking, fundraising, campaign strategy, labor and political endorsements, voter contact, media and messaging and more. Candidates also meet an array of dynamic women who hold elected and appointed office and become a part of a supportive network, which includes a national association of Emerge alumnae, the Emerge board and advisory council members.
Emerge is proud to report that the 2018 election cycle produced 415 winners who were alums of Emerge America.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Emerge America is the national umbrella organization of Emerge Affiliates that form a 25-state network.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge’s role is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
- Empower EA’s current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
- Expand impact by replicating success in new states.
Emerge America is seeking an entrepreneurial high energy financial executive to support the organization through an exciting period of growth. Reporting directly to the President & Founder, the CFO will be responsible for all of the finances of the organization, and building out the financial capacity of the organization.
- Strategy, Vision, & Leadership
- Work in partnership with leadership to develop the strategic direction of the organization and make ongoing decisions to ensure that Emerge’s mission is fulfilled.
- Work closely with the leadership team to perform long-range financial forecasting.
- Lead budgeting, including development of multi-year budgets for strategic planning, annual operating budgets, quarterly reforecasts, and project budgets.
- Facilitate financial modeling to evaluate different options for expanding operations to all 50 states.
- Set policies and procedures in collaboration with other senior staff to align incentives with organizational goals.
- Finance & Accounting
- Develop an internal accounting system (currently outsourced) with internal controls.
- Design and implement systems to maintain internal controls, process transactions.
- Compliance & Risk Management
- Work with legal counsel and staff comply with federal and state laws and regulations, as well as responding to inquiries from government agencies.
- Oversee preparation of IRS Form 8872 quarterly; coordinate annual reviews or audits and preparation of IRS Form 990.
- Education, Training, & Communication
- Build financial management competency among staff, state executive directors, and volunteer boards.
- Share information about financial health, plans, and performance with key stakeholders to support transparency, accountability, and decision making.
Emerge is seeking candidates with financial and management accounting experience, ideally in both nonprofit and political settings. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are at the heart of Emerge America’s mission. Emerge is seeking team members to reflect the incredible diversity of the women whose political power they seek to build. Therefore, applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system are encouraged.
In addition, Emerge is seeking the following specific qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in a senior leadership role at an entrepreneurial growth-focused nonprofit or business with demonstrated success in finance, operations, and administration
- Thorough understanding of nonprofit budgeting, fiscal management and compliance
- Knowledge of best practices regarding administrative processes and systems including finance, HR, legal/compliance issues, and technology management
- Strong knowledge of accounting standards, business practices, economics, and technology
- Experience with planning and analysis, including leading budgeting, providing business insights, and maximizing the use of organizational resources
- Detail and systems orientation to manage complex projects
- Excellent written and oral communication, including the ability to present complex financial information to stakeholders at all levels
- Experience developing others and managing a high-performing team to set and achieve ambitious, achievable goals
- Self-starter with an ability to develop a vision and inspire others
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and ability to be nimble while moving toward long-term goals
- Strong interpersonal skills, including competency working cross culturally and in diverse teams to create equitable and inclusive environments
- Ability to take an action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible and innovative approach to financial management
- Demonstrated understanding and interest in the mission of Emerge
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative and mission-driven environment
- Passionate, humble, hold a high degree of integrity, bring a positive attitude, be mission-driven and a self-directed inspiring leader
A highly competitive compensation and benefits package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
Leadership Search Partners is conducting this search on an exclusive basis on behalf of Emerge. Interested candidates should apply via email by sending a letter outlining qualifications, brief bio and resume as PDF or Word documents to Chelsea@leadershipsearch.com with “CFO - Emerge” in the subject line.
Inquiries may be made, in confidence, to Search Consultant Heather Merriam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMERGE AMERICA is an equal opportunity employer.
LEADERSHIP SEARCH PARTNERS is a search firm focused exclusively on the nonprofit sector. Based in in the San Francisco Bay Area, the firm works with local, national, and international nonprofits to help them hire exceptional senior-level leaders.www.leadershipsearch.com.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Education / Teaching Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Executive / Senior Management Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Legal Government $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in San Francisco