- Experience Level
The Atlanta Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (AGLCC) works to serve our Atlanta business members by advocating, connecting, and advancing our small business, corporate partners, and the communities that we call home. The AGLCC is a 501c6 non-profit organization and is currently working toward including a 501c3 accreditation.
- The AGLCC exists to drive economic success for the LGBT business community and our allies.
- The AGLCC is an affiliate chapter of the National LGBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC). As such, we serve as the local certifying-body on behalf of the NGLCC. We work closely with the NGLCC to offer access to all the strategic growth opportunities offered by our national organization. The AGLCC currently has 62 certified LGBTBEs (4th largest in the nation). LGBTBEs make up 12% of our membership base.
- The AGLCC will be celebrating its 25 Year Anniversary in 2019 and has a growing membership and partner base. In 2018, the Atlanta Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (AGLCC) gained 101 new members; as of December 2018, we have 437 members and 41 Corporate Partnerships (including new and current media partners).
- The AGLCC currently has thirteen (13) volunteer Board Members (including President and Vice President) and three (3) contract staff employees.
- The AGLCC produces over 75 events annually that seek to effectively connect and grow our member businesses at every stage of business development.
The AGLCC is seeking a full-time highly motivated and dynamic Executive Director. The Executive Director will report to the President and Board of Directors and is responsible for the successful leadership, management and administration of the organization according to the vision and mission set by the Board of Directors along with the Executive Director.
This newly created position is an exciting opportunity to take a successful and growing membership-based organization to the next level. The Executive Director position will entail a full range of activities covering all facets of the AGLCC, including but not limited to the following: attracting and retaining members, developing, managing and marketing programs and events, developing business partnerships, facilitating strategic planning, managing and overseeing day-to-day AGLCC operations, conducting community outreach and serving as lead liaison to AGLCC stakeholders. The success of this leader will be measured on their ability to further grow the AGLCC and expand deeper into sustainable organizational maturity.
Executive Director Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
● Lead ongoing efforts and initiatives to increase AGLCC membership at all levels and facilitate membership engagement and communications.
● Maintain and grow corporate relations and work to support and advance the LGBTQ+ and allied business community.
● Responsible for reporting to the Board of Directors on the management of all operating and budget activities, including working closely with the Treasurer to develop a budget and ensuring that actual results are in accordance with the budget.
● Provide leadership and value-added support to the various AGLCC committees and internal staff.
● Work closely with the Board of Directors to prepare and implement a targeted and practical strategic plan that advances the mission of the AGLCC.
● Ensure the ongoing development of the Board of Directors and a pipeline of board members and officers.
● Proactively make recommendations to the Board of Directors for creation of innovative programs/events.
● Maintain continuity and consistency in existing programming/events.
● Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with all AGLCC members, business partners and the business community.
● Represent the AGLCC at public community events and meetings.
o Serve as a principal spokesperson for the Chamber in all venues, proactively and reactively, with a goal to enhance the Chamber’s overall image.
o Represent the Chamber at all appropriate civic, cultural, charitable, business, and community activities.
o Represent the Chamber before various conferences, conventions and business groups as panelist or principal speaker. Become “the face” of the business community throughout the region/state.
o Represent the business community at government functions and venues in a bi-partisan way by meeting regularly with elected and administrative officials (at all levels) on public policy matters affecting the Chamber’s priorities and the business community.
● Provide leadership and support of the organization’s regional economic development efforts through business attraction, retention and expansion and, maintenance and enhancement of the strategic and diverse partnerships and alliances in place with all local, regional and state partners.
● Acquire an understanding of national, state, municipal and corporate supplier diversity programs as well as the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce [NGLCC] LGBTQ+ certification program. Responsible for assisting and educating member businesses in the LGBTQ+ certification process.
● Conduct periodic assessments of various AGLCC processes and implement improved technologies and systems that will facilitate operational efficiencies.
● Maintain and review the effective organizational structure of the office and ensure ongoing staff support of all functions.
● Plan and organize Executive Committee, Board of Directors, and other meetings as appropriate.
● Responsible for overseeing all human resource functions for the AGLCC, including the overall direction for the recruitment, hiring, development, and retention of high-quality professional and administrative staff.
● Use integrated marketing and communications solutions [i.e., e-technologies, social media, website. etc.] to enhance and to advance the AGLCC’s visibility.
● Constantly strive to develop a better public understanding of the purpose, mission, and functions of the organization.
● Ensure full compliance with the law at all times in all organization, financial, and personnel matters.
Required Skills/Professional Qualifications
The ideal candidate would have a proven track record of success. At minimum the ideal candidate is required to possess the following:
o Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Public Administration, Communications, Marketing, Economics, Political Science, or an equivalent field experience is preferred.
● Work Experience:
o A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in senior management, preferably within a Chamber of Commerce or similar career background in a nonprofit, private, or public sectors.
o A minimum of three (3) years of experience in demonstrated leadership positions, including organizational/staff management, financial management and/or Board relations.
o Experience in developing and successfully implementing strategic organizational plans.
o Demonstrated experience in general management, budgeting and financial management, marketing, human resources management, and Board/volunteer relations.
o Demonstrated ability to influence and understand electoral and governmental processes.
● Organizational Management Skills:
o Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating and task facilitation. Managing multiple tasks/projects simultaneously, time management and meeting deadlines is an essential skill requirement for this position.
o Excellence in organizational management with the ability to oversee, coach/develop staff and manage a budget.
● Leadership Abilities:
o Demonstrated leadership abilities and skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, committee members and other volunteers.
o Significant experience in leading strategic business or membership development initiatives. Critical thinking and analytical skills required.
o Must exhibit an ability to work independently, exercising a resourcefulness and entrepreneurial spirit.
● Relationship Cultivation/Building:
o Ability to work/interface with and effectively communicate with diverse individuals and businesses within the AGLCC membership and the LGBTQ+ business community.
o Demonstrated interest in the advancement of the LGBTQ+ business community and in building key partnerships with community leaders, corporate representatives and the NGLCC.
o Familiarity with and knowledge of the various stakeholders in the local LGBTQ+ community.
● Communication Skills:
o Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, including creative writing, editing, business correspondence, listening, presentation and public speaking skills.
o Ability to convey a vision of the AGLCC’s strategic future to staff, Board, members, volunteers and the business community.
o Demonstrated experience in communications and integrated marketing, including website content, management, email marketing and social media.
● Technology Skills:
o Proficiency in the use of Google Drive, and Microsoft Office tools such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
o Basic understanding of computers, devices, audio/visual equipment and software applications.
● Working Conditions:
o The Executive Director will usually work from home, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take them to standard and non-standard workplaces.
o The Executive Director is a non-exempt salaried position that will require evenings/weekends to accommodate activities such as AGLCC programs and events, Board Meetings and representing the AGLCC at LGBTQ+ community and public events.
o Minimal out of town travel is required as the Executive Director is expected to attend the NGLCC Annual Business and Leadership Conference in July/August and the National Dinner in November.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience ranging from $55,000 - $75,000. Competitive benefits package offered.
For consideration, interested applicants should submit the following documents:
1. Cover letter
2. Current resume/CV
3. A separate statement (250 words max) that answers the following question:
a. Why are LGBTQ+ chambers of commerce needed today and how would you seek to grow a chamber as an executive director?
Submissions should be made electronically in a single PDF document to: EDSearch.email@example.com
Applications will be accepted through February 28, 2019. Finalist candidates should be prepared to submit three work (3) references (with current contact information), including past direct supervisor(s). No phone calls will be accepted about the position. To learn more about the AGLCC, visit TheAGLCC.org.
The AGLCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. LGBTQ+, allies, veterans, women, and people of all ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.