Executive Director, Project Cornerstone
- Position Type
- Full Time
Job Title: Executive Director, Project Cornerstone
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Department: Youth Development
The YMCA of Silicon Valley operates on annual revenues of $80M per year with service to San Jose, Cupertino, Morgan Hill, Mountain View, Palo Alto and surrounding areas. We are a YMCA focused on strengthening our long-term capacity to serve our region and we know that we must be able to respond creatively to the changing demands of our stakeholders.
The YMCA of Silicon Valley operates 10 branches and 1 overnight camp with the support of nearly 3000 staff team members across our footprint. We are proud of our 150 plus years of service to the community, but we remain even more so hopeful about the impact yet to come.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Project Cornerstone Executive Director leads the youth development initiative of the YMCA of Silicon Valley, providing leadership, management, and innovation to the organization. Leveraging a small staff team and an extensive volunteer network, the Executive Director leads creation and implementation of the strategic plan to impact over 100,000 youth in service area by 2020. The broader vision is an audacious goal of 1,000,000 youth by 2025. The Executive Director is a recognized thought leader and trainer with an entrepreneurial approach to leveraging partnerships, demonstrated ability to scale programs and a deep commitment to the social/emotional needs of youth.
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, social services, public health or equivalent experience.
- Six or more years of nonprofit management experience.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop funding streams through individual, government, and foundation sources.
- Demonstrated knowledge and success in community development.
- Ability to lead total operations through volunteer development, supervision of staff, development and monitoring of budget, marketing and public relations, and program development.
- Experience in management and development of volunteer involvement; ability to recruit top community leaders.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
- Represents and promotes the YMCA and Project Cornerstone as a transformational leader in the local community and develops positive working relationships with other organizations, schools, businesses, and governmental entities. Develops, maintains, and models collaborative relationships with community agencies in service delivery area.
- With the committee chair, coordinate the efforts of Project Cornerstone committee of the YMCA of Silicon Valley Board of Directors.
- Chief fundraiser for Project Cornerstone. Directs the financial development activities.
- Oversees the hiring, training, development and supervision of staff.
- Develops, manages, and monitors the operating budget and meet or exceeds budget targets.
- Directs strategic planning efforts and develops the annual operating plan.
- Develops and directs high quality relationship-based volunteer engagement strategies. Models relationship-building skills in all interactions with staff, volunteers, and the community.
- Fosters a climate of innovation to develop programs which advance Project Cornerstone and the Y mission, goals, and strategies.
- Directs marketing and communication efforts to effectively communicate mission and impact to
- Conduct public speaking and community outreach with the goal of building support for the work of Project Cornerstone; serve as an advocate and knowledgeable spokesperson on issues related to building a web of support for our youth.
- Serves as a member of Y leadership team and supports the overall objectives of the YMCA.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Multi-Team or Branch Leader):
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Ys values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds
and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader
building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability
and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.