Development Manager | Seattle, WA
- Degree Level
Location: Seattle, Washington
Full Time | Exempt
The Development Manager will implement, coordinate and manage cost-effective fundraising activities to assist the local business unit attain its financial goals. This is a sales position where the performance review is largely based upon achieving aggressive annual revenue goals. The position also solicits, trains and manages an effective volunteer base of community leaders to assist in meeting the financial goals. This position acts as liaison between the Arthritis Foundation, its volunteers, and the local community. The Development Manager works closely with the Regional VP, VP Market Development, Senior Development Director, Development Director, Executive Director, Community Engagement Directors, Market Relations Coordinator, CRM support representatives and leadership in all areas of the Foundation, including Development, Marketing and Communications, SLT members, and the Help & Support team. The Development Manager recruits, trains, and manages volunteers, and develops/maintains relationships with business leaders, corporate worksites, Greek fraternal organizations, and others in the Market Area and the communities assigned.
- Revenue Generation: Directly responsible for achieving revenue through assigned fundraising initiatives (Walk to Cure Arthritis, Jingle Bell Run, Social/Gala, Other) which includes utilizing organizational best practices, achieving specific revenue and expense budget, managing the timeline and logistics, leading volunteer recruitment activities and efforts, marketing, and sponsorship solicitation for each event.
- Volunteer Recruitment and Management: Recruit, orient, train and coach/mentor volunteers to organize events that meet or exceed the established fundraising goals. Key volunteer positions include Leadership Board members, Event Committees, Youth, Medical and other Honorees, Corporate Chairs, Team Captains, and Sponsors.
- Relationship Building: Develop strong networks within the local community. Identify target audiences and build appropriate recruitment and fundraising strategies to successfully recruit, acknowledge, and retain and upgrade event donors/sponsors/teams and participants. Develop a pipeline of new revenue streams, event sponsorships, and volunteer opportunities through relationships, networking, sales calls or other prospecting efforts,
- Assess and Plan: Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the on-going fundraising initiatives, including fundraising efficiency (cost/expense), community engagement, event potential, and overall success of the event. Develop and implement strategies to enhance growth potential.
- Collaboration with Mission: Maintain a thorough knowledge of the Arthritis Foundation’s fundraising and mission based initiatives. Collaborate with mission staff on key activities to ensure mission delivery at all events.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Proficiency in multiple systems that track and manage revenue generating activities, volunteer leadership (i.e.: Affinity, Kintera), and internal systems of the Arthritis Foundation. Prepare and maintain accurate records/data to evaluate cost-effectiveness, profitability, and public awareness of events and/or activities. Activities may include monitoring income/expense budgets, compilation/analysis of event statistics, evaluation of media coverage, researching and analyzing community fundraising potential versus actual revenues, etc.
- Event Marketing: Collaborate with Marketing & Communications team to oversee local marketing/communications/media relations efforts to drive awareness and community engagement in Arthritis Foundation events.
- All other duties as assigned by Executive Director
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- BA or BS degree or equivalent.
- 2 to 3 years of prior related work experience, preferably in sales or event fundraising in a not-for-profit setting.
- Should be able to demonstrate successful fund raising experience including knowledge of sales best practices and current trends, and knowledge of marketing and communications.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required – the ability to gracefully handle rejection and bounce back assuring goals are met. Strong interpersonal and presentation skills required; ability to cold call, grow local contacts and build and nurture effective business relationships to increase Arthritis Foundation visibility, brand awareness, volunteer staff and revenue.
- Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Must be able to read, comprehend and analyze financial goals and fundraising reports and generate required reports on a timely basis.
Value Added Qualifications:
- Embraces change and promotes a culture grounded in adaptability.
- Upbeat, “can-do” demeanor; ability to project empathy and compassion when engaging constituents.