- Experience Level
Reports To: Chapter Director, and Fundraising Committee Chair
Context: The Development Associate develops, recommends, and implements the Chapter’s fundraising programs and activities in order to achieve the Chapter’s fundraising goals.
Scope: Working closely with the Chapter Director and volunteer leadership to develop effective fundraising strategies and programs through, major gift solicitation and numerous events year round.
1. Plans, organizes and oversees all fundraising events and activities; including appeals, events, donor identification and solicitation, and donor relations.
2. Assists the Chapter in the development of the annual fundraising goals and objectives.
3. Develops and carries out solicitation plans. Identifies funding trends; develops and cultivates new funding sources.
4. Works closely with national staff to coordinate fundraising efforts when appropriate.
5. Recruits and trains volunteers to participate in the Chapter’s fundraising programs and activities. Specifically staffing and coordinating small and medium events, house parties, outings to engage new donor prospects.
6. Maintains the fundraising database (Fundraiser Select and Salesforce) and monitors the flow of funds, including the acknowledgment and receipt of gifts
7. Monitors and prepares reports of fundraising progress. Provides financial progress reports to the Club, Chapter, executive committees, etc. Performs income forecasting.
8. Develops and maintains a list of potential large donors and facilitates meetings and cultivation with chapter leadership and the chapter director.
9. Develops and maintains expertise in professional field by reading current literature, and attending seminars, conferences, and meetings when possible.
10. Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fearless in asking for investments in our environmental movement and dauntless in pursuing new major donors.
- 3+ years prior experience in designing and managing fundraising campaigns for environmental or other non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in fundraising campaigns and major donor solicitation.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Skill in making presentations and public speaking, including implementation and execution of fundraising events, small and large.
- Social Media fundraising proficiency and experience
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 non-exempt position.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.