State Advocacy Director, North Carolina PIRG
- Experience Level
We are hiring a State Director responsible for running our state-based work. In North Carolina. Right now, U.S. PIRG working on everything from reducing the overuse of antibiotics in the food industry to defending consumer protections on Wall Street. We don’t see these issues as liberal or conservative. They’re just problems we shouldn’t tolerate in this day and age. And we’re willing to work with everybody we can to solve them.
This non-partisan, result-oriented approach isn’t easy, but it works. We have a 45-year track record of winning hundreds of new laws and other policies, making the lives of people in states across the country healthier, safer and more secure.
The State Director is responsible for helping to determine which issues and campaigns to prioritize in North Carolina, and developing our strategy, approach, and local message. The State Director will also meet with decision-makers and opinion leaders in North Carolina, and represent our organization to allies, the media in the state, and when needed, demonstrate grassroots and online support. Finally, the State Director will help recruit staff and volunteers to join us, fundraise for our programs, and maintain good systems for tracking and building on our work.
- Program development: Develop our approach to public interest problems within a broader political context, creating specific programs and campaigns. Participate in and oversee policy development, research, and messaging.
- Advocacy: Bring problems and solutions to the attention of decision-makers—including state legislators, people on the Governor’s staff, state regulators and local officials. Develop appropriate messages and materials for making the case to decision makers; build relationships with key players in North Carolina, the region and at the federal level.
- Campaign Strategy: Develop plans to win on our public interest campaigns; assess opportunities for building political support for our agenda through coalition-building, grassroots organizing, media coverage, endorsements and message development.
- Media Outreach: Serve as the public spokesperson for our public interest campaigns through media events, press releases, editorial board meetings and other outreach with a goal of building name recognition for the organization, educating the public about our issues and building and demonstrating support for our positions.
- Coalition Building: Identify, reach out and work with partners who can help us win our campaigns.
- Fundraising: Write grant proposals, build relationships with foundation staff, and meet with large donors, all to bring more resources to campaigns we're working on. Work with our citizen outreach staff to build and develop our membership base.
- Staff Recruitment and Development: Recruit new staff and volunteers to increase our impact and build our power.
Candidates must have at least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience. Qualified candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues and to citizen-based social change as well as a track-record of leadership. We're looking for goal-driven and results-oriented individuals who have excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills, the ability to speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere, and enthusiasm for the work. The ideal candidate will have experience in state-level political advocacy and organizing, a proven ability to recruit, train and develop staff, the ability to raise money, and demonstrated success in building relationships with the full spectrum of public interest and political stakeholders.
Pay & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. U.S. PIRG offers a competitive benefits package.
Durham, Chapel Hill or Raleigh, NC
Please apply online at our website. Direct your application to Kyle Larson, Hiring Director.
Visit http://jobs.uspirg.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about us before you apply.
U.S. PIRG is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Environment Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Development / Fundraising Environment Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Human Resources / Recruiting Environment Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Marketing / Communications Environment Full Time jobs in Raleigh
- Program / Project Management Environment Full Time jobs in Raleigh