Chief Executive Officer
- Experience Level
The Board of Directors of the Bayview Hunters Point Foundation for Community Improvement is searching for a highly skilled executive to serve as the agency’s Executive Director. This position reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for overseeing all program, operational, financial, resource development, and administrative functions of the agency as well as the development of strategies, policies, priorities and fund forecasting. The ideal candidate will be a skilled professional who possesses leadership capacity in organizational effectiveness and stability, as well as vision and direction to ensure high quality client services and sustained growth of the agency.
The Bayview Hunters Point Foundation for Community Improvement, Inc. is a non-profit community-based human services agency founded in 1971. The Foundation was created to address the needs of a predominantly African American, isolated community where essential social services such as legal assistance, drug rehabilitation, and mental health care were unavailable. Programs have now expanded to respond to San Francisco’s diverse communities and client populations and include substance use disorder and mental health treatment, youth services, residential sober living, case management to homeless and formerly homeless populations, and HIV/AIDS support services. The services provided by the Foundation demonstrate a concern for community issues as well as the ability to meet community needs.
The Foundation continues to be at the forefront to fill identified gaps in the public health system. The agency remains a strong service provider for the underserved areas where over 20% of the residents live below the federal poverty line. While the agency’s primary service area is still the Bayview Hunters Point District, the Foundation’s services are also delivered via partnerships to other San Francisco neighborhoods.
The Foundation has a staff of dedicated and committed professionals providing program services and administrative support. The Program staff includes physicians, nurses, LVNs, counselors, psychiatrists, psychologists, medical records technicians, billing/intake staff, social workers, administrative support, and program directors. Together, this dedicated staff is responsible for serving over 1,000 clients annually.
The mission of Bayview Hunters Point Foundation is to build a community that is empowered, clean, safe, and healthy.
The Strategic Priorities are:
- Provide health, social, and human services.
- Maintain/improve the quality of services provided.
- Be a responsive and responsible voice for the community.
- Be an organizer, collaborator, convener, and developer of the community.
Duties of the Chief Executive Officer:
- Provides vision and oversight of programs;
- Maintains an organizational infrastructure for long-term sustainability and quality service delivery;
- Interacts with the Board of Directors and members of senior management within the Foundation as well as San Francisco City Departments and other funders on a wide variety of issues, policies and strategies;
- Oversees all levels of the agency in coordinating issues, communicating on behalf of the Foundation, and leading and participating in management teams;
- Provides leadership and plays a key role in community outreach and community building activities;
- Develops and implements initiatives to improve contract efficiency, program quality and a diverse revenue base;
- Oversees promoting effective services and growth;
- Recruits, hires, and trains management personnel and administrative offices staff; evaluates management staff performance in accordance with the agency’s human resources rules and regulations; directs, supervises and provides technical assistance to management personnel;
- Plans and coordinates funding streams on behalf of the corporation;
- Represents the Foundation before community groups, governmental bodies, agencies and private organizations;
- Negotiates and executes contracts, lease agreements and other legal transactions at the direction of the Board of Directors;
- Ensures reporting to the Board of Directors on status of programs, with particular emphasis on trends and interventions relative to client services;
- Positions the Agency to anticipate and respond to changes and trends in health care, public health, and community services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Experience & Education:
To be considered for the position, candidates must meet the following qualifications:
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of senior level management responsibility and is a respected leader. S/he will have a Master's degree in public or business administration, social work, psychology, human service administration or a closely related field. Professional experience may substitute for the graduate level educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
The ideal candidate will have staff development, board development, program management, and fund development skills. S/he will have comprehensive knowledge of the principles of public administration, human resources, financial management, organizational development, program management and a record of significant accomplishments in a complex human service organization in a multi-cultural/multi-ethnic environment.
In addition to being a skilled executive, the successful candidate must be highly self-motivated and able to effectively motivate others, be diplomatic, and persuasive. The candidate will have strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to interact effectively with elected and appointed officials, community members, business leaders; experience working with boards, commissions, and advisory councils; substantive experience managing relationships and state and federal agencies; experience managing a large professional staff; and management/administrative experience in one or more of program areas managed by the Foundation.
Qualified candidates with a deep understanding of the Bayview Hunters Point community and the Southeast sector of San Francisco are desired.
The salary for this position is negotiable, and depends on the candidate’s work experience and qualifications. The Foundation also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest to: President, Board of Directors, Bayview Hunters Point Foundation for Community Improvement, Inc., 150 Executive Park Blvd., Suite 2800, San Francisco, CA 94134, Ref. ED19